Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

What size plastic bags?

wordwiz
13 years ago

This is one of those things I never really thought about thinking about! But I know it will be something I really will need this year. What do you use (if anything) for bags? I figure I need one size for beans/snap peas, chard and maybe tomatoes (one pound of each), probably a different size for Romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes and cucumbers? Or do you use one size for everything?

Do you have a fav supplier? I've bought bags to hold my newspapers from U-Line and have been satisfied but I don't know if they are the best/least expensive for produce bags.

Also, do you bag it before heading to the market or as you sell it, or bag it at all. My thinking is to harvest it, bag it, stick in in a large container filled with ice so it stays crisp. Bring it home, put it in a fridge and the next day, again fill a container with ice at the bottom and put the produce on top of it. That would only be for leafy greens, of course.

Ideas! Suggestions! Advice! I can use them all!

Mike

Comments (7)

• cowpie51
    13 years ago

I like regular grocery t-bags

Mark.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I use the Tshirt bags and I get mine from Sams Club. $12.00 or so for 1,000. I use about 10 boxes of 1,000 per season.

I don't pre-bag anything for the market. I tried it with basil and found out that it wasn't a good idea, at least for basil. My customers like to choose their own most of the time. We have pre-bagged sweet corn, but only after inspecting closely. A few customers that really trust us will take the pre-bagged, but most want to check and choose their own.

The T-shirts bags can be hung on a hook or even hung from a bungee (which is what we did until we got a bag stand).

Marla

• boston3381
    13 years ago

OMG!!!!!!! thank you "myfamilyfarm" !!! you just saved me
    a big problem i was haven with markets and my new Retail store..
    i found them on sams web site, but i cant see how big they are ?? do you know the size of them..maybe 12'h x 4"w x 8"w ????

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

they are a standard grocery store t-shirt bags, about the same size as WalMarts bags. they will hold about 2 reams of paper. so maybe 10x13x4. I don't put more than 10 lbs or 6 ears of sweet corn. Hubby walked out to my van and just the actual printed sized from the box. 1/6 bu. made by polyamerica.com, actual size is 11.5"x6.5"x22".

I've used them for years and most of the time they're great. a few times I got a few duds in a box, but most of the time, just fine.

Glad I could help.

Marla

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marla,

I visited polyamerica.com but couldn't find a place to order or even view the different sizes. Do you have a link?

Mike

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

I do not use T-shirt bags for my produce, I use those to put all the items people have bought from me. I used to use the largest sized 5-a-day bags but than found websturant.com some better produce bags that are 12' x 20' and I use them for everything from 4 oz bags of arugula to 1.5 pound bags of lettuce. I just got a case yesterday for $36 and change (includes shipping). I believe I get 3000 bags in a case. The bags have no writing on them like the 5-A-day bags do and they open far more easily.

They are easy for me to put my labels on, load with produce and they look nice on display

BTW I far prefer my tomatoes in pulp pint and quart boxes to bags-you get far less damage and people like them in boxes much more than bags so you sell sell more and take home fewer damaged maters.

Here is a link that might be useful: plastic bags

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Mike, that was what the box said, it did say about contacting their sales staff on the page. I'm not big enough to order pallets, so I go to Sams.

Boulderbelt, I went with the Tshirt bags because that is all that was available intown. The T-shirt bags having the handles are great feature. There are so many customers, that have purchased from vendors using the 5-a-day bags without handles, ask for an extra bag to put those bags in.
    I will be looking at your link and determine if I can find another bag that will be to my advantage. I'm thinking about adding a smaller bag to complement the T-Shirt bags.

BTW, I love all of us helping each other with finding these types of questions. Thank you all for your input.
    Sorry, off the topic, but I needed to express my feelings.

Marla

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus