Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many drip lines for watermelon.

Posted by rustico_2009 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 16:06

I have been watering my watermelons in hills with a coil of 1/4" drip tubing taken off a 1/2 feeder. Works good but I am going with some longer rows and using t-tape.

How many tape lines per bed for watermelon? This is sandy loamish soil (good drainage) and water spreads out a foot and a half at 1 foot deep with average watering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many drip lines for watermelon.

i plant melons in plastic in a row with 1 t-tape down the middle of the plastic.

o

I plant my rows 6 feet apart and run row of drip tape under the plastic mulch.

photo 138_1709.jpg

Jay

o

I water melons with flag emitters in 1/2" mainline that I've reused for several years, but when that set up wears out I'll be doing the same as my cucumbers which is a single driptape under the plastic.

o

I also use one tape per row under plastic. I am putting a dummy line under on several things too so I can switch to it if I think the other one sprouted holes. I unplug it a bit before harvest anyway. You should never water mature melons.
 photo b265476f.jpg

o

If your tape sprouts a hole you can easily fix it with a connector.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecter Fitting

This post was edited by TomatoesAndThings on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 21:52

o

I also just use one drip line per row. And all my melons (musk, honey dew, watermelon) are spaced at 18" in the row.

-Mark

o

I guess it is unanimous! It sounds too easy and that confuses me! Seriously though, one drip line it is.

o

You can't fix them under plastic with vines on top! That is why I plan to have spares under the plastic,

o

SURE you can. If you have a bad leak you will be able to HEAR it. You will also have a small pond forming around the leak. They are easy to find and fix.

I never run drip down the center of the bed. It is always offset 6" to either side. I transplant down the middle of the row.

o

Agreed, just pull the vines back. Most of your leaks will be there the first time you hook up your tape.

This post was edited by TomatoesAndThings on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 21:35

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here