Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookw_gw

where is spring?

brookw_gw
11 years ago

Is it me, or has this been a long and strange winter? Here, we have had just an unusual amount of freezing and thawing. We had temps for a few days in the 50's then a few days in the teens, back to 60, down to ten. All of my shallots have heaved and are lying prone in their bed. The roads have really been hurt too. Now, we are drenched. It has snowed, sleeted, froze rain, and poured (1 1/2 inches one night) every day for 2 weeks--minus Sunday, when we actually saw the sun for a couple hours. Anyway, I hope the old saying "In like a lion" is true. Bring on spring!!

Comments (8)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I think our spring is under the snow that we're getting right now. Only 3-5 inches by midnight and then wind.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

It's heading our way too, though right now they're just saying "snow showers and wind" the next 3 days, so I hope there isn't much accumulation.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

3 weeks ago I seen daffodils in southern KY/northern TN, I was hoping that was spring.

The snow we're getting is the heavy 'heart-attack' type of snow. Many schools are on delays for tomorrow and several closed early today.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Well, now they've changed "snow showers" to "snow" on Thurs and the hourly is showing it starting 1 pm tomorrow, pretty light til after midnight but then steady so kids might not have school (or will have delays - it's standardized test week so they won't want to cancel). Back to "snow showers" on Friday, hope DH can get home b/c he's on a business trip, supposed to fly back Thurs night.

I'll have to call my uncle to plow us out if considerable (and hope it doesn't accumulate too much again b4 DH gets home, if he even gets into the airport), the PS belt is shot on the tractor (add it to the list of repairs for this year - and that's not going to be easy to replace).

We still have about a foot on the ground (though it's melted off the mounds where I planted blackberries/raspberries, I can see the pine branches I covered them with now). Of course more than that along the sides of the driveway, but only 4ft instead of the 10 that had been piled up there from shoveling/plowing the last 2 storms.

I can't wait to see grass again! The sap has been running for weeks, so maybe spring's coming? Still below freezing when we wake up though.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Got between 4-7" in our area, Most schools are closed (county schools) and in-town schools are on delayed. We didn't get alot from the last couple of storms, so this one made up for it. Lucky we still have lots of road salt.

we have a 60 in the forecast for this weekend.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

TV weatherman said 45 as high on Sunday, looks like only 6" total this storm (forget what last one was but Nemo socked us with 2.5-3ft in most places). But TWC and local news were way off on when our area of the state was going to start seeing flurries - it's snowing now!

I only hope they're right on totals. The town has been putting down tons of salt every time anything is predicted, many towns are overbudget for snow removal now b/c of Nemo. Though I'm sure if you go out tomorrow night, you'd see the state trucks out getting time and a half even where only 3-6" (by Friday noon) is predicted...

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

I'm starting up my greenhouse on Friday. It's the first time that our 10-day forecast has decent weather for all ten days.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I'm thinking about using next week to clean out and start some planting. I have some strawberries and rhubarb plants to get potted up. I'm really hoping that we are done with the cold cold nights and all this snow, but I'm not ready for the spring MUD.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor