Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes

Posted by herbgardener Vancouver BC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 16:48

I just received my shipment of fingerling potatoes - first time planting potatoes.
I want to get a head start on them and was wondering - the growing tips sheet states that the soil temp should be above 15C(59F). Took soil temp and it is around 10C. Was wondering if I covered the soil with black plastic until it was the right temp, plant the potatoes and cover up again with black plastic (making sure the soil stays moist)until it stayed warmer at night. The daytime temp is not bad but it is at night. It must sound like a stupid question but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes

I'm not sure for your area, but I'll try to plant some regular red potatoes either next week or the week after. I'm in Zone 5.

o

herbgardener,

I plant my first planting on St. Patrick's day every year. Yukon Golds. Today I purchased Rose Finn fingerlings and Red LaSoda. These two are new for me. I maybe in trouble with the LaSoda. Looks like it was breed for the south.

Black plastic should speed up the soil warming and keep the weeds down too. You could also do potato "chitting" while you wait for the soil to warm.

See link below

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Chitting Potatoes

o

Thanks for your speedy replies. I weeded the bed this afternoon - it is about 14C57F, put the black plastic down. I think I will plant next week - supposed to rain for the next three day. Also think I will keep the plastic down, one to keep the heat in but also to keep too much water out of the ground if it continues to rain.
Thanks again

o

herb,

About the water. If its a raised bed your theory maybe true, but if its even with the surroundings, you are dealing with water table. Raised beds dry out and warm up faster in the spring.

You have probably already learned this, but potatoes produce above the seed potato. Hilling up two or three times while growing will give you a better harvest.

Yukon Gold July 2007
Photobucket

Good luck

Eric

o

The LaSoda's work well for me, and taste absolutely delicious. They're the only red for me.

o

Good to hear.

o

I first found them grown in AZ, very tasty and I couldn't keep them in stock. People were asking for them once they tasted them. Now I can get them easily locally. The skin is alittle darker than Potamac, which was the standard of red potatoes around here. I dig my potatoes as earlies. I don't know how they would hold up as keepers.

o

Red Pontiac are popular here.

Eric

o

In that case, the people will love the LaSoda's, sorry I misspelled Pontiac.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here