Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Equipment & Methods

Posted by Flat_Land 8a AL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 17:30

Advise on equipment please

I have about 2 1/2 acres that I can use for dirt farming. Currently I use about 1/8th acre intensively planted. What does every one else use to keep about an acre in production. For example does everyone own a tractor, or tiller, no till? I currently use a 6.5 rear tine tiller and some sustainable methods. But the thought of using my tiller for whole acre is daunting, much less two. Is it better to hire ground breaking and just sustain? Please let me know what you do since this land is clear but not farmed in 10 years.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Equipment & Methods

Our property was much the same situation and I had someone come in and do the original breaking with a tractor. I have a tiller, particularly useful in making beds, but it wouldn't be sufficient to work that much ground.

Last year, I used a mule for most of the cultivating work, and this year, I'll have a whole crew of them working. They can work wetter soil than a tractor can without the same amount of compaction. And they're going to be powering a water delivery system.

Ray

o
RE: Equipment & Methods

Thaks Ray! It looks like I'll have to rent a tractor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here