Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jrslick got a question for ya.

Posted by joe-il 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 18:35

Hey Jay, hope things are going well for you. Did you plant your high tunnel tomatoes 15 inches apart last year? If so how did that work out? I did 2 ft last year and was thinking I could do 18 inches pretty easy this year. But if I could a few more plants in without any problems I will go a little closer.

Peppers , I have the hybrid pepper "revolution" how close can I space them? double row, staggered.

Got a lot of nice plants this year. heres whats going in the h tunnel

New girl
brandy boy
super fantastic
big beef

determinates
bhn-589 (awesome tomato btw)
scarlet red
belle rosa

cherries
sweet million
sweet baby girl
bhn 641
sun gold

Thanks,
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jrslick got a question for ya.

Joe, I'm not Jay, but during our conference in So IL, they recommended planting farther apart to help with diseases. They didn't mention how far apart, but being too close would hamper air-flow. Just something to keep in mind.

Marla

o

Joe,

I plant them on 18 inch centers. I also planted some on 12 inch centers and trained to a one leader. It was alot of work to do the 12 inch centers, so I am going to stick with the 18 inches. I did this on both the determinate and indeterminate types. On the indeterminate ones, I suckered them up to the first flower cluster and pulled off all the lower leaves. They were just stems for about a foot off the ground. I gradually did this. Basically, if it touched the ground, it was off.

I planted Revolution last year. I don't know about production. I didn't plant them and the list got lost, oops! All the peppers last year were really good.
I plant them on 12 inch centers, staggered double rows. The rows are 16 inches on centers.

I am glad you liked the BHN 589. I didn't plant them last year I went with the BHN 640. I was not as happy with them, but it was a hot and dry summer. Two years ago it was much cooler.

I am trying the BHN 641 also, I hope it works.

Jay

o

Thanks Jay. Lets hope for a great season!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here