Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
determinante tomatoes

Posted by farmerTeddy long island (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 19:04

does any one grow bush tomatoes? what is your planting interval for season long harvest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: determinante tomatoes

I put in a bed of determinate tomatoes to cover with low tunnel later in fall. I plant them on 6/25. I don't grow other determinates generally but put in tomatoes for low tunnel in late April and normal season planting around 5/20 for 3 total plantings per year.

o

i plant a lot of determinate tomatoes. i do an early planting inside and then a little later one outside. the inside ones don't really stop producing but they do slow down. i plant a few different varieties to help stagger the harvest.

o

I started planting multiple plantings of determinate tomatoes instead of relying on one planting of indeterminate tomatoes. I noticed a big jump in sales, especially as others vendors tomatoes were getting smaller and I still had large slicers available.

My first planting will be planted in the high tunnel around the 3/26 to 4/1
Second planting, outside, will go in 4/28 to 5/3 (under row cover if needed)
Third planting, outside will go in 5/24-5/30
Fourth planting will go in one of our movable tunnels around 6/15
and the last planting (don't always do this one) will be 6/25 to 7/1. For me, any tomato planted after 7/4 is not going to produce enough during the market season to make it worthwhile.

Last year we had big slicing tomatoes from mid June until December. I could have pushed it longer, but they don't sell as well late in the season, so I put my efforts into crops that over winter better and sell better in the late fall and winter.

I step my plantings down each time. This year I am starting at 400, then 300, then 200, then 80 to 100, and finally a small planting of 50 plants.

We will have planted about 900 plants before we even pick the first tomato. I plant out 6 to 8 week old seedlings.

All these pics were taken about the same time in early July.

The first planting, there are a few indeterminates in there too. photo 137_1567_zpsc44cfd75.jpg

Here is my 2 and 3rd plantings last year.
 photo 137_2220_zpsc3dc38b3.jpg

The 4th and final planting last year
 photo 137_2245_zpseb1aa138.jpg

Jay

o

They look great Jay, you obviously stay more up to date on your string weaving than I managed this year.

Anybody got any favourite determinate varieties? I tried Burpees Quarter Century this year (almost total flop) and Principe Borghese (very hardy and I could sell them as cherry toms so good price).

I think next year I want to try some hybrids or something with more disease resistance bred in.

o

try some BHN varieties. for me they produce a ton of tomatoes at one time.

o

I agree, I have tried and liked every BHN variety I have planted. I also plant Florida 91, a heat set variety, as most of these tomatoes are producing and setting fruit during the hottest part of the summer.

Jay

o

Thanks, looks like there is a BHN agent here in Australia, hopefully they will do some small packet lines and not just 1000 seed lots.

I tried to find Florida 91 last year as it gets very hot very early here, will keep trying...

o

This will be my first season with a hoop house. I've got a mix of early and later maturing determinants as well as a few indeterminate varieties ready to go in in the next week or two. I just seeded some flats of my main season varieties, and I will probably get a third planting later in the season to take me through fall. I plan on treating some of the indeterminate varieties as determinants for the same reason as Jay, dwindling quality later in the season. I grow specific varieties for a chef, and some just don't hold through the season, hence successive planting and ripping out the occasional low productivity vines that otherwise might still be productive. Black krim is a good example, it's listed as indeterminate, but I've never picked a salable one after about early August.

o

If this weather doesn't shape up, not sure when I will be planting this year! I usually aim for the 15-20th of March, but this year I don't think so, it is snowing tonight. I also didn't start my plants as soon as I usually do, so we will just have to wait and see.

Growing in a hoop house, your determinates seem to keep producing. If you have a cool summer, you can get another huge production off the same plants in late August/September. That has happened to me twice. At the end of last year, I was still picking tomatoes off all 4 plantings. I stripped the inside ones and pulled them out. I sold lots of green tomatoes for a few weeks during that time too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here