Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you use this to pot up?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 19:25

I've got some leftover Fafard #2 I used for potting up last year, great stuff, but the rest of the bale sat in the garage all winter (in original plastic), any moisture that was in it (or maybe it absorbed some) seems to have frozen, then defrosted as there is a big wet spot on the concrete under the bag. I'm wondering if this could be harboring any spores now, not sure it would be OK for first potting up of seedlings?

Maybe I should buy new (don't need a whole bale this year, started a lot fewer seeds than last year, can look for smaller bag)? Save this for starting greens, potting up larger plants later on or maybe just some flowers? I'm afraid of damping off my precious peppers and tomatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you use this to pot up?

I would spread it out, water it well, let it dry, then use it. but I'm not as cautious as others. You can spread a thin layer of vermiculite on top, which helps with damping off.

I haven't had any damping off since I quit using the dome lids, crossing fingers. I do let them dry out just til wilting (all plants) until I water the next time (from bottom of course).

I save my MG from one season til next, mainly because the new stuff isn't out when I need to start using it. I use potting soil for seed starter.

o

If it has never had plants in it before I don't see how anything could be lurking in there.

o

you might need to add some fertilizer, the old stuff might have been lost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here