Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loewenzahn

Selling herbs in pots

loewenzahn
11 years ago

I have quite a nice collection of herbs and other useful plants in my garden and plant to start part time selling herb plants.
I plan to sell either at farmers markets (but I am limited with a normal car size) or doing garage sales.
I know that you cannot have only rare and strange herb and food plants, especially when you start because most people just want basil, chives, parsley etc. While it is fairly easy rooting cuttings in pots and maybe potting them up, selling herbs which are annuals seem to me fairly tricky and very different when I do that for my garden (I sow them directly).
The first problem is that all must be ready in early spring, which is difficult without a greenhouse. But maybe I could start them in these polystorol boxes from the greengrocer and put some plastic on the top. The second problem is that all herbs must be ready to sell at the same time and they do not have a long sellable live. How to determine when to start each herb?
Third as I usually sow my herbs directly into the garden, I don't know which plants I sow direct in the pots in which they or sow them somewhere else and then transplant.
I might build a shade house, at least this keeps the wind out. I saw an awesome one on the internet, made with star posts and reinforcing mesh, here's the link: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s3083130.htm (sorry I don't know how to make the link clicky) You can build a greenhouse this way too.
Thanks for any input!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery