Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedwig_gw

Laminator

hedwig
18 years ago

Hi,it would be good having a laminator for plant descriptions etc. I have no idea of laminators - can I just buy the cheapest? Or a laminator at ebay or better not because they don't work if they are too old? They sell one at Woolies for $39.

Comments (7)

• trianglejohn
    18 years ago

I don't own one myself - I use the large one at my corner copy center. I used to work somewhere that had them and they are a wonderful tool if you can afford one. I don't think there would be anyproblem with buying a used one because the mechanics of them is pretty basic (heating ellement and pressure rollers).

I would look for sturdy laminant (often sold in "jackets", where the front and back are fused down one side). The thicker it is the longer it will last - and the more it costs. I never found the ultra-violet proof laminates to be any better than the regular but that was years ago so they may have improved by now.

• garliclady
    18 years ago

I have one that came from Walmart . It was a gift so I don't know the exact price. The brand is "DUCK" and is a 9" laminator. The plastic comes is several sizes. It does a great job and the plastic laminate is not too pricy. I have had mine 3 years and have lots of signs I use over and over.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for

• hedwig
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks! I wait to buy one until my earnings are higher. At the copyshop they want 3$ each page! Meanwhile I make my signs like this: normal printout and the I cover it with adhesive film (the cheapest for books 1.70 a roll) on both sides. I will see how long it lasts and if the signs stand even one rain....
    I let you know.

• seneca_s
    17 years ago

I don't know how you're set up, but I laminate with tape and use 2 tablecloths, one that looks nice and one clear plastic, sandwich your plant photos in between. My clear tablecloth isn't even a tablecloth, it's clear vinyl form the hardware store used to insulate windows.

• hedwig
    Original Author
    17 years ago

now I "laminate" with sticky bookcover, it works pretty well, even the printouts are only on a inkjet. The bookcover is really cheap.

• seneca_s
    17 years ago

How's it holding up to water?

• heidi41
    17 years ago

I pretty much use the same way of "laminating". Except, I use clear contact paper. I used my signs both here at my farm stand and at the market. They have gotten wet and still look good. I will beable to use them again this year. I also have some self standing photo frames(the plastic ones that look kind of like a "L") I bought them for $l.oo each. The large index cards fit into them perfectly. However, I like your table cloth idea. That definetly has a lot of potential. HEIDI