Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Movable High-tunnels Pictures

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 20:12

Well since the weather has shut me down for the night, it is snowing heavy now and the ground is white, I will post the pictures I took prior to snow starting today.

Mobile Buildings

Sorry I couldn't get them both in one picture. I was up against the fence. We got one covered yesterday (warmest day we have had in a long while around 60 degrees) the other one will have to wait.

Picture of Mobile #1 Still needs some vents, a door and toe kick boards at each end.

Mobile #1

Picture of Mobile #2 I still need to complete the rails for the next position. That won't take too long. I have been too busy building them to stop and dig holes.

Frame of # 2

Here is the roller assembly that I made. Eric, I was going to go with the caster wheels, but they were more money than I wanted to spend. If I have a problem with this set up I will probably change to that, but simplest idea first. I wish the roller pipe was smaller diameter, but it was as small as I could find at home. I can easily change it if I need too. The metal shaft is solid 3/4 inch oil field sucker rod, 4 inches long. It is very strong. The entire structure is sitting on these rollers.

Side roller for Mobile Buildings

I still need to make a top vent in both ends, construct a door and install a kick board at each end. I also need to work the area up. I am most bummed about this. I wanted to have that taken care of, but it has been too wet. Maybe next week. I have broken out other sections of this grass pasture the last two years. It is really fertile soil and it will just take time. While I am happy with the buildings, I am disappointed about the angle of the top. I wish it was a steeper angle, closer to a 50-55 degrees. Currently it is about a 30. However, when your father in law drives 3 hours to help bend the pipe, it is hard to tell him it won't work. We will see how they hold up with the 2-5 inches of snow we are to have tonight and tomorrow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Movable High-tunnels Pictures

Jay,

I like it. Looks like you have a roller at each leg? What keeps the roller from coming of the axle. Will you be drill holes and apply washers and cotter pins? Grease them up too.

What will keep the structure from flying off the rail inward. Do you need something to keep the sides from flexing?

I really want this to work. I may copy in a smaller version.

Eric

o

Yes a roller at each leg. I am working on something to keep the roller on the axle. I I was wondering about washers and cotter pins. I wish I would have just welded a washer on the ends, I guess I will see what I can do.

Currently the whole structure is bolted to the rails. When It comes time to move it, I will take the bolts out, roll to the new position, drill new holes and replace bolts. I experimented with half the tunnel to see how it will roll. It rolls fine, just a little slow. The pressure of the ribs hold the rollers on the rails.

I will keep you updated when it comes time to move it.

Jay

o

Jay, sorry you got snow, it's heading my way, but not supposed to get but a few flurries, otherwise rain. Yes, your 'mobiles' look alot like my canopy only larger. We're not going to move ours, but did take the time to put sheet metal screws in each joint, on the underside. Right now, all we have up is the metal frame. Now need to work on the wooden frame for the ends.

PS. The older metal frame greenhouse, we wrapped with packking tape at the joint (so that the plastic wouldn't snag) and the joints are getting rusty. Good experiment and for short term, it works. The newer one, we're going to wrap with duct tape, for the same reason, hopefully it won't rust as easily. Of course, they are still temporary measures to see if we can justify buying/building a real greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here