Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefblac

Feasability of selling container grown food

stefblac
17 years ago

Greetings esteemed growers

I have been following these forums for a little while and have learned much and so for that I must give thanks to you all.

I have been growing vegetables and strawberries in my yard for on a small scale using containers, both hole in the bottom types and SW. I have enjoyed using containers to grow in. I am playing with the idea of boosting the amount I sow next spring and hopefully selling some. I havenÂt decided what method I will use to sell them yet. I am going to use this spring/summer period as a test season with the idea that if successful I might rent a larger property in order to expand. I live on the outer suburbs of Melbourne and it early autumn now. That leaves me quite a few months to properly plan and organise this test season. I would imagine being in Melbourne has advantages for a small grower as the gourmet food industry has really taken off here in the last decade and people are more open to trying new and more fashionable foods. Growers markets are popular. I was intending to grow things like Strawberries, Raspberries, watermelon varieties, herbs, cucumbers, tomatoes, aubergine, capsicum and other vegetables. I was intending to choose rarer heirloom varieties. IÂm still giving thought to what I could do for the winter months in terms of things to grow. Now for my question; Do you think it feasible my idea of expanding and continue to grow in containers on a larger scale?

I will try to explain to you all why I chose containers as my method of growing. We are only renting the house in which we reside and I cannot imagine we would stay here for longer than a couple more years. Containers are obviously portable and easily transported when we move. Furthermore, the use of containers save me having to improve the soil here only to do it again elsewhere. The cost of purchasing containers is obviously a setback but IÂm guessing it is not as expensive as a hydroponic system for instance. The last reason and most important for me is the fact that I enjoy growing in them for some reason. So what do you think? Is this idea a pipe dream? Should I stick to just growing for myself? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and take care

Stefan Blackham

Comment (1)

Sponsored