Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heirloom_lady

Anyone grow heirloom beets & what price?

heirloom_lady
19 years ago

I was planning to grow Bull's Blood, Golden & Chiogga beets this year for market and restaurant customers. A couple chefs have requested them. Does anyone have experience selling these, and how much should I plan to charge? If they aren't worth much I won't waste a lot of garden space on them. Are there any better varieties? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sherry

Comments (16)

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Please do keep us posted here as to your experiences. I'll be growing "Golden", "Chiogga", & "Albino" beets this year for the first time.

• jayreynolds
    19 years ago

I'm trying the cylindrical beets. They look as if they would be easy to work with, like a carrot! Maybe I can sel some. I get a little call for beets, but usually just take orders & bring them the next week if someone asks.

Here is a link that might be useful: some heirloom beets

• Ron_and_Patty
    19 years ago

We are growing Cylindra, Bull's Blood, Chioggia, and Burpee's Golden. We are planning to sell them for $2/bunch, a bunch being 4-5. We haven't actually sold any yet, but that is what they were selling for at some other farmer's markets. Hope that helps a little!

Patty

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

I charge $2 a pound.

• imtoobusy
    19 years ago

Whenever I want to know what price something is selling for I will try the OPX but I don't always find good information there (for instance they have nothing on beets right now) so I will go to the grocery delivery service called "peapod" and type in what I am looking for. It gives me the retail price at the grocery stores. Right now they are selling one bunch of organic beets for $4.99. True that these are prices that are paid in the bigger cities but I think it is good information to have.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to peapod beet price

• ohiorganic
    19 years ago

I generally charge $1.50 a bunch for beets either red or other colors

• heirloom_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was thinking around $2.00/pound for the farm market, which I think would be about 5 or 6 beets. I'm glad to know I was in the right ballpark. Has anyone had experience selling to restaurants?

• robbins
    19 years ago

Our beets sell for $4/bunch - about 5 or 6 baby beets. And if the grocery stores are selling for $4.99/bunch I think I need to raise my price. I am very sure that mine - freshly dug and washed, not shipped or held for days or weeks - are a far better product.

• ohiorganic
    19 years ago

Wow $4.99 for grocery store beets?!?

I would raise my prices quite a bit if that's what they were charging at the grocery but those prices range from $1 to $2.99 (out of season) for a bunch which is generally 3 red beets

• CatGrass
    19 years ago

Hi - I sold Chiogga, Golden and Forno last year and they sold extremely well - always ran out early. Customers came back every week until they were gone.

I noticed that the price for Golden beet seed is much higher than the others - maybe I just didn't notice it last year. I will be charging more for Golden this year than other beets.

• heirloom_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I noticed the price of Golden Beet seed is much higher too. Not sure why. I ended up buying seed from Baker Creek since they had the varieties I wanted and seemed to have the best price. Is there a better source for vegetable seeds, other than Johnny's? I'm hoping heirloom beets will do well at our market. I know everyone loved our heirloom tomatoes last year.
    Sherry

• adrianag
    19 years ago

Walmart is charging $2.69 a bunch for THREE beets!

Golden beets are harder to germinate - does anybody have any tricks with them?

• mark_brown
    19 years ago

soak the seed over nite in a bit of liquid fertilizer, just a pinch, the nitrogen helps as does a few drops of hydrogen peroxide
    Mark

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

The golden and chiogga sound good.... you could also had a cylindrical or "white" variety..... mind you bull's blood is mainly eaten for the tops.... these beets in particular are best harvested young..... They may make a nice baby vegetable though considering the tops are also best young and "primo" in salad mixes.... (nice red color, sweet and crunch/buttery).... I'd harvest the bull's blood young.... the whole thing .... tops left on and sell in small bunches.... or you could cut the tops off and sell in lettuce/green section and sell beets separate..... :)

• calico9_gmail_com
    12 years ago

We grow beets and sell them for 3.00 a bunch. We sort the beets by size so that each bunch looks uniform when compared to itself. If they are small beets we put more in. We bunch them into a bunch that "look good".....it's pretty subjective.

Our farmers market beet price is 2.00 per pound....Our wholesale beet price is between 1.00 and 1.50 per pound depending on who is buying and the amounts they are buying. It also depends on how many beets we have and how eager we are to sell them. They keep for a long time in cold storage so you don't have to be too eager to sell them. If you price them higher and they sell slower it won't necessarily be a bad thing, if you have a cooler to keep them in.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I sold beets with the tops cut off Saturday for $1.50 per pound. Had 2 people ask for 1/2 bushel or the remainer, and they got them for $1/lb.

Marla

Sponsored