Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some tips please.....

Posted by farmingvillefarmer East Coast zone 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 21:09

Hello all this is my second year growing plants from seed and selling them out front of my house. Last year was OK but i didn't make back the money I spent getting started. This year I figured to try something new. Last year was flowers only this year I'm planting vegetables also. A few questions please, I have around 150 Tomato's started, they are under lights and around 6-8 inches tall. I have Big Boy, Beef Steak and Roma. Before I move them outside to the green house what size pot should I use? 4.5" or a 1 Gallon pail? I'd like an idea on how much to charge for each plant also. Another new thing is Herbs I have lots of Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary and Cilantro. I'd like some tips on what to do with these Herbs please if you have the time, thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some tips please.....

farmingvillefarmer,

I was doing a little math while potting up vegetable starts today.

A 2 cubic foot bag of soiless potting mix is about $10.00.
There are about 240 cups to a 2 cubic foot bag. Each cup cost about 4 cents. I think a 4" pot holds about 2 cups.

4" pot = 8 cents plus your seed. We sell our 4" pots at $2.00 each and a flat of 18 pots for $30.00.

The only plants we pot up to a 1 gallon nursery are tomatoes and peppers. I believe they were $5.00 last season. I like to sell the plants before they get to this size. Less material and labor.

We sell at a premium price, for if they don't sell, we plant out. We sell produce also.

I'd also recommend that you grow cherry tomatoes. The market last year, here, seemed to have a shortage and sold out quickly.

We haven't grown herbs, maybe this year. Herbs take a little more to get started and grow out. You should charge more. Hopefully someone else can help you with them.

Eric

o
RE: Some tips please.....

Eric is pretty spot on, the smaller sizes cost you less in the long run but the larger sizes are also good to have on hand.
Here are some more measurements.
http://americanclayworks.com/catalog2008/mixes.pdf
page 110 has the good stuff. Remember, these measurements are for a compressed bale, they fluff up quite a bit.

As for sales, make sure your flowers are blooming.

also this link seems useful also, ITML is the most standard.
http://www.americanclayworks.net/acw_weights_and_measures.html

I assume most of these measurements are available on other sites, but this is the place I am familiar with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here