Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pricing tomatoes, peppers, okra

Posted by stoneunhenged (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 6, 09 at 22:08

I started growing produce for upscale restaurants last fall. To date, we've sold heirloom lettuce and collards. We sell them for $7/lb. We also sell arugula for $10/lb.

Now we're entering the spring planting season and we have started seedlings of various heirloom varieties of tomatoes, okra, and hot peppers.

Anyone ideas on how much to charge per pound for these veggies?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pricing tomatoes, peppers, okra

I'm sure location is going to be a deciding factor. i dont grow heirloom as i have had poor production with them.

we sold okra for $3 a lb last year. we had clemson spineless and could get about a lb in a quart basket.

peppers were a slow sell. sometimes we would just take what we could get as we were over run with hot peppers.

tomatoes were about $1.50 a lb and put about 2lbs in a quart container.larger tomatoes were .75 each.

this is a small market and folks will go to walmart if it is cheaper.

o
RE: Pricing tomatoes, peppers, okra

I have been getting $3/lb for okra. Tomatoes ranged $1.50 to $2.50 lb. Other vendors were trying for $3./lb.

Peppers are sold by eaches. Depending upon size, anywhere from $.50 each or 3/$1 to $1 each. I don't sell the colored pepper at different price than the green ones. I also don't sell different color tomatoes at different prices. All tomatoes/peppers are sold at the same price. Tomatoes $x.xx/lb any color. Pepper $x.xx/each any color.

I am at a farmers market in a small/med town that it surrounded by farm acreage. Not many veggie farms, but lots of gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here