Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adahlberg_gw

Potted houseplants and tropicals

adahlberg
15 years ago

Does anyone sell starts of houseplants at the farmers market? How do they do for you and what kind of prices do you charge?

I was thinking about african violets, streptocarpus, angel's trumpets, begonias and fuchsias. What do you think?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    WildThings Rescue Nursery
    15 years ago

Hi adahlberg.

I sell House-Plants/Tropicals at my markets as well as the Perennials.

The Perennials FAR outsell the "House-Plants", but the House plants do sell pretty steadily all season, and REALLY take off come Fall.

My experience has been that succulents far outsell any of the other indoor plants.
    I do alot of variegated and unusual, selling a 4" pot for $5.00 and the gallons for $15.00. Of course there are exceptions for the more rare plants, but I generally move those on Ebay, as the average Market customer will not pay the price that it's worth.

I also mount the epiphytes, (Staghorn ferns and some other ferns and Orchids), which sell like crazy! (Even at 24.00 a pop!)People LOVE "different" and plants clinging to one's walls is definitely different!

Another great marketing idea was the little itsy bitsy rooted mini succulents I did in those tiny little clay pots and sold for .99 each. I sold out every market. I know, doesn't sound like the big bucks at .99, but it sure does add up if you do alot of them!

If you do common plants like they can get at Wally World,..you will need to price them cheaper than the big package stores.You don't make anything.
    Best to do unusual or do common, but market in an unusual way, (either mounted or do creative combo plantings in a cool type of container or let them bring their containers to you for a "custom" miniature garden.)

It's all about presentation & display.
    Have fun with it and see what works best for you.

• adahlberg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the info!
    I was also thinking of the mini succulents in the tiny pots. I found some 1" pots w/ saucers that I can use. I have a mini aeonium. I also have a mini fuchsia to propagate.
    Do you mount on rustic pieces of wood? I live by the ocean and have access to tons of driftwood. I also live in the redwoods and have alot of material to choose from.
    What is your best seller? Also you say you sell out of the mini succulents but how many do you bring to market?
    Thanks!
    Andrea

• PRO
    15 years ago

Hi Andrea.

The driftwood pieces, if small enough to hang on a wall, would be perfect to glue Tillandsias on to (Air Plants)
    Would be stunning, I bet!

The Ferns need more surface area to eventually root on to. A rough flat(ish) board. I attach by wrapping rootball with sphagnum and securing with a small square of bird netting (nylon) and staple.

The tiny .99 pots I transport back & forth with egg cartons. Keeps them from tipping and the pots fit perfectly!
    If you can get the 1 1/2 doz cartons, they work great!

• adahlberg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Would you consider mounting an orchid cactus? (epiphyllum) That would be very unique. I am not good at growing orchids so those are not an option for me.

What kind of mini succulents do you grow/sell? Are these just for novelty or for fairy gardens or railroad gardens?

• PRO
    15 years ago

Some Epiphyllums are epiphytes, so would probably do fine mounted. Still, doesn't hurt to keep a bit of potting soil around their roots before wrapping in the moss.

Don't let the Orchids scare you.
    I used to kill my fair share too, potted. The great part about mounting is that the excess water runs OFF!(LoL)
    Not all Orchids are happy mounted. Most that like to cling from trees will do fine mounted though, and thank you for it!

The "Mini Succulents" I use are not all naturally dwarf. (Many of the Gasterias I use are), but much of the tiny potted plants are just bits & pieces, "starters" so to speak, that will eventually need to be bumped up into bigger pots by their new owners.
    Just a way for people to get started with a nice assortment and not have to spend too much money.
    You can use Crassulas, Haworthias,Opuntias,Euphorbias,Aloe pups..Any little bit or piece that will squeeze into the pot.
    (I actually started doing it for the kids to have something they could afford. Who would have guessed they'd be such a hit with the adults!)

• oldbusy1
    15 years ago

where i live you have to have a growers license if you start your own.A dealers license if you are just selling and not starting them.Okla wants to nickle and dime you to death.

Might want to check you area and see what the law is.

• adahlberg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes busy1 it is tough here in California too. I have to have producer's licence a nursery licence and a business licence. Crazy! Just to sell a few plants. Well maybe more than just a few. And $17 dollars to sell at the farmers market on Sat. Maybe I should reconsider!

• oldbusy1
    15 years ago

I have to have a seperate license to sell at different locations. How crazy is that, i only have 1 greenhouse where i start my plants but have to pay $25 for each location.

My wife has a egg license that is good for any location as long as the chickens are at one place being raised. If i had chickens in another location she would have to have another license.

Oh well the hoops you have to jump threw.

Sponsored