Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Source for cheap pots?

2ajsmama
11 years ago

Not POT, POTS, plural!

I bought more seed (found the Sparkler radishes!), going to start some (more) tomatoes, peppers, cukes, etc. to sell as starts, figure people like to buy tomatoes and peppers in 8" pots, though maybe they'll buy some things in smaller 6-packs. But where can I find the cheap plastic pots? I've got some 8" pots (and some larger) I saved from mums, I've used those to up-pot my starts to harden off but I don't want to sell all of them, I don't have that many anyway and last year kept things in (borrowed) 4" hard plastic pots as long as I possibly could (I had to delay planting last year b/c it was so wet).

Figured I'd start as many as I could in the final pot so I don't spend $ on cells, I can't find plastic cells around (spent $5 on a "kit" with 72 cells, tray and dome at Walmart), so have most of my seed(lings) in cardboard.

I know the carboard is supposed to be biodegradable and may be more "green" but I had to replant banana peppers last year since even slitting the cardboard and tearing the bottom out didn't give the roots enough room to grow out. Plus they get dirty and stay dirty (plastic you can wipe off) and I don't think would present well at market.

Thanks

Comments (28)

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

I use Nolt's produce supplies out of Leola, PA (Amish company, no website but you can google for phone number)

Monte packaging also has a lot of supplies http://www.montepkg.com

There are many other companies that sell what you need for far less than Wal-mart. But you will have to buy by the case which will seem like a lot but believe it or not you will go through it all.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew Monte sold clamshells, etc. but didn't know they sold pots and starter trays. Can't find them on their website. Can you give me a direct link to the product? Thanks

• tulsacityfarmer
    11 years ago

Try growers supply or gemplers.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Monte's do not carry pots like that. BFG is one supplier. I've bought several liners off of Ebay. the pots that I bought this year was 1320 in a case from Gardenhousemegastore.com (out of Danville, IL). Mine was teh cheapest at 8 cents each, I wanted the 17 cents each ones, but couldn't bring myself to spend it.

You might also check your local farm store, some of ours have some. Also Lowes, HD or other hardware stores.

You will need to expect to buy quantity, 1,000 or more, or spend the price at WM. I'm talking about 4" pots.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I found Greenhousemegastore, didn't know if there were others.

I've got to call Agway (didn't get to it Friday) about buying less than 50 lbs of oats, I'll ask if they have 4" pots or empty 6-packs for starts.

Actually, what size/kind of pot do you recommend for marketing starts in, considering I'm presenting myself as (noncertified) "organic" or "naturally grown"? The cheap Jiffy ones don't seem right to bring to market (and I'm not really keen on them myself), and I do want some larger ones for those people who would like to buy just one larger plant instead of 6 small ones.

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

Yesterday I went to my favorite nursery. At the entrance they were selling dig your own tomato and other plants. They were in flats of approximately 3"x3" cells. Small paper bags were supplied for carrying the plants. Some people were putting 3 or 4 plants in a bag.

• henhousefarms
    11 years ago

We use either Hummert out of St Louis or GMS in Danville, Il. as they are close. Hummert has a huge selection but their on-line catalog is a nightmare to navigate.

We use 606's for things like cabbage and brocolli and 1801's for peppers and tomatoes (a 606 means 6 units per tray and 6 cells per unit - in other words a 6 pack - 1801 is 18 units per tray, one cell per unit - 3 1/2 inch pots).

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummert

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tom. Still learning the lingo ;-) I know what a 1020 is but that's it.

So you recommend those sizes for selling starts at market, or that's just what you start them in yourself? Our markets don't start til June (I still haven't decided whether to go back to the one I was at last year - though maybe I'm not invited back since I haven't heard anything about 2012 applications - or one of 2 others - old one starts 6/3, the others 6/12 and 6/20) so I wanted to sell larger plants that were already hardened off so people could get them right into the ground.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I'm selling in 1203, 36 in tray. this will be first year for them. In the past, I've sold 4" and larger POTS. I was lucky a few years ago, a nursery was going out of business, hubby and I brought home 5-7 TRUCKloads, chevy long-bed. One of the best present I've got in this business. This year was the first year that I had to buy 4" pots. These pots were used, but cleaned up just fine.

We usually call the 10x20s a tray.

I've heard about one, I called them, it starts 4/21. Usually don't get info about June starts until May sometime.

Marla

• henhousefarms
    11 years ago

Those are the sizes we use for the plants we sell - they give the plants a nice size and are pretty standard for what other sellers use. For our own plants we use 72 cell flats. The plants are a little smaller at transplanting which I like and use a lot less potting soil.

Tom

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

On CL right now, there is someone selling tomato plants in red solo cups and asking $2 per pot.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HA! I thought of that, have a bunch we didn't use at Xmas/Superbowl, watching the ACMs right now!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looked at Fedco's OGS, don't have anything larger than a 606 unless I go with 3" peat pot, 36 for $6.50. Greenhousemegastore has 1801's, 10 for $8. That would be 180 cells?

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Yes, it would be 10 liners of 18 cells. Look for larger amounts, the shipping will be almost the same thing, but you'll save per liner.

I'm on my way to them AGAIN to pick up more labels, pro mix bx and osmocote. 3rd trip since Jan. I feel like I'm on first name basis with them.

The red cups don't look very professional, I thought about styrofoam cups, and decided not to.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking about the peat pots, thought it would look more "organic" but I'm worried about them drying out at market if it's hot the beginning of June - or people don't plant them right away and don't water them after they buy them. Don't want customers bringing back dead plants a week later!

• ordairygirl
    11 years ago

Novosel Enterprises are highly rated on a watchdog site. Recently ordered from them. Prices are good, you can order in small quantities and shipping is free with a larger order. Harris seeds has a good selection and decent pricing too. Anything is better than the local hobby kits...until they go for 75% off in July =).

Here is a link that might be useful: Novosel

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - Novosel might be worth it for plugs, or 2" Jiffy pots (which I don't think I want to use) - their prices are comparable to OGS, but free shipping is a bonus. I just don't see 1801s or 606s on their site?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just went to Agway (had to get oats there anyway), got 606's for $1.20 each. Not cheap, but better than Walmart (where they wanted $4.50 for a 606 with tray and dome)!

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

if you advertise yourself as Organic (I figure you are going with the under $5K rule) than you have to get soiless mix with no wetting agent as that is not acceptable under the USDA/NOP and you must follow their rules to a "T" if you want to use the Organic word in your marketing.

All bags of soiless mix have the wetting agent listed on the bag (if they use it). This was something that nearly got my farm decertified organic many many years ago but fortunately we asked our certifier about this before buying bagged soiless mix (we make our own 99% of the time but every now and than we don't have all the ingredients we need to make out own and have to buy commercially produced stuff)

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I am not using the word "organic" even though I meet the $5K requirement - figured I'd avoid having to switch in the future when I make over $5K (knock on wood). I use the word "naturally grown" and after last year figured I don't even have to get certified organic seed b/c most people didn't seem to care. They just wanted no pesticides (most people didn't ask about fertilizers, and no one asked about seed). That and price.

I use Ferry Morse (also makes Jiffy) organic starter, also picked up a bag of Jiffy Organic when I could only find 2 bags of the F-M but I haven't opened that yet.

But thanks for the info - will it say "wetting agent" or are there certain words (chemicals??) I should look for?

Last year I started tomatoes and peppers with some stuff from Walmart - the only organic starter I could find - I think it was Earthgro, it was all sticks!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, should have said Burpee when I couldn't find F-M (I think I also have a bag of Jiffy but that should be the same as F-M).

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

You cannot go by the word Organic on bags of soil, fertilizer, etc as no one regulates that word on anything other than food stuffs. So anyone can put the word Organic on any bag of soil (and Miracle gro does exactly this and if you use their "Organic" potting mix and you are certified Organic you will get decertified) or fertilizer.

And do realize that organic growing is about feeding and growing the soil and not about avoiding certain inputs. It is also about farm management and creating a crop rotation of at least 4 years, having farm maps and keeping excellent input, planting, sales and harvest records (among other things). Most people, including most not certified organic growers, do not have the first clue as to what makes an Organic farm organic unless they have been through certification or worked on an organic farm. Extensive reading and going to a lot of Organic agriculture workshops is another route to understanding as well.

Naturally grown also has certification and if there are any CNG growers at your markets they may have issue with you using that term (though I don't believe they have any legal standing to prevent you from using the term "Naturally grown" without certification)

Here is a link that might be useful: CNG

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did check the F-M and it says "wetting agent", the Jiffy says "organic wetting agent" (is there such a thing?) and I haven't checked the Burpee.

I know there is a lot of record keeping and inspections (even heard of midnight raids!) required for organic certification. We learned about all that in class. But I never knew that "naturally grown" was a restricted term. Thanks for the link. But what to call my method (no pesticides, herbicides, or "store-bought" fertilizers, though I am using some off-the-shelf Burpee seeds and the "organic" starters)?

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I think Certified Naturally Grown is controlled, but may not just naturally grown. I haven't seen any CNG growers in my area, but did check them out earlier.

I use Pesticide or Insectide or Herbicide Free, which is what a friend who is a certifier for Organics in Indiana suggested, when I qualify. If I have to use something, I'll post that item.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Was picking up some tomato seeds (Best Boy) to grow for starts to sell, Burpee rep was stocking shelves (told me she wasn't going to restock tomatoes, peppers, or the cold weather veggies so I also got more chard, spinach, etc.). I asked about their "organic" seeds and she said they're non-GMO, also "grown without chemicals". Not sure what *they* start their organic plants in :-)

I do try to buy organic seed when I can - last year ordered from Fedco, they were out of some OG seed so had to substitute. I also buy the organic Burpee when I see it, but seems like some seeds are only stocked conventionally grown in my local store, or maybe Burpee doesn't grow everything in an organic "version".

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

When you order those seeds racks, you can choose what type of seeds you want to sell. You might ask your store if they will consider ordering the seed rack with organics.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They do have an organic seed rack, just seems like not much of a selection. Only 2 types of tomatoes, 1 type of chard, etc. Burpee rep says organic herb seeds have been selling like hotcakes.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Most of those racks don't have much of a selection of tomato seeds, since most people will buy plants instead of seeds.

A lot of people think, a tomato is a tomato and there's no difference.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz