Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shishito pepper pricing

Posted by nettles.elderberries 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 23:31

I have been reading on here for a year or more.Have been market gardening for quite a number of years using backyards all around my small town.Have a chance to supply a near-by resturant with 40lbs/week/8-10weeks (busy season) shishito peppers.Am thinking of asking 10.00/lb.Any thoughts?
Have grown Padron peppers so have an idea of growing and picking and picking and picking.Mostly just curious about pricing.And maybe as an after thought how many plants to grow.I am tending toward 120.Thanks for any info and ideas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shishito pepper pricing

I have raised Shishitos and they don't weigh much. If you are wanting to supply 40 pounds a week for 8 to 10 weeks, 120 plants wouldn't even put a dent in that quantity. In my opinion, you would need 1000-1500 plants to produce that much. I am basing that off my biggest harvest of about 5 pounds, at one time, off of 30-40 plants grown in a high tunnel.

Price, get what you can get. I only charge 2 for 25 cents or 10 for a $1. I started putting them in pint baskets and people kept picking around in them, that is why I started the price per.

Most peppers I sell by the pound are $3 a pound.

Jay

o

$10/lb is too high for supplying to restaurants, IMO. I sell Padron peppers in 1/2 lb bags for $2.50 at market. I needed 500 plants last year to yield about 15 lbs a week. This was outdoors in zone 2 though, so they yielded less than they would in your zone.
I haven't grown Shishitos but I figure they are pretty similar to Padrons in size and yield.

o

In my Asian Market here, where there are a lot of Kreans and Chinese, SHISHITO is sold mostly around $5/lbs. In another fancier Asian market they were retailing it for over $10/lb.
That is where I got mine and got seeds from and am growing as Bckyardner(NO marketing).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here