Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeedman

Hot caps

Does anyone know of a mail-order source for hot caps, or something similar for transplant protection? I am looking for something inexpensive enough to use in large quantities.

Comments (15)

• robin_maine
    17 years ago

Guerney's has Hot Kaps.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Robin, that is what I want, but I am looking for a bulk source. I found one once while searching for something else, and didn't bookmark the site. (knocking self 'side the head)

• robin_maine
    17 years ago

Of course! This is the market forum. I have Growers Supply on my desk so I flipped through that. Nothing. I'm going to put 1000 pumpkins under temporary poly tunnels. Would that work for you if you can't find the Kaps?

If I come across the Kaps while I'm searching for other things today I'll let you know.

• heidi41
    17 years ago

Zeedman: Harris Seed Company offers the hotkaps in two different sizes and in cases of either 100 or 1000. Good luck.

www.harrisseeds.com

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Heidi.

• lbashaw126_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Azurestandard.com 12 for 10.45

• cowpie51
    13 years ago

Do not pay that kind of ridiculous money almost a dollar a piece plus shipping.
    You can make them out of newspaper for little or nothing.
    Great for nighttime early season frost protection
    As far as daytime freeze keep them on also.
    Do not plant your Tomatoes or other tender plants too early, unless you have a hoop house and protective row covers.

• andreaz6wv
    12 years ago

I would use 2 liters cut in half. Already vented at the top and free!! :)

• cowpie51
    12 years ago

The 2 liter pop bottles work quite well, trust me. But only when the plants are smaller. The cap can be removed during the day and if it is a sunny,warmer day and you worry about overheating the plant you can shade it partly with a piece of cheap muslin.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Depending on the quantity you need and the layout of your garden, you might well be better served by temporary tunnels. If nothing else, they are a lot less labor. Harris lists 1000 Kaps at almost $300, that should easily build a temporary low tunnel with an inner floating row cover, which would offer good protection and several years of utility, and far less labor to maintain. Johnny's sells a tunnel system based on Eliot Colemans' design. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-597-quick-hoops-low-tunnels.aspx

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Low tunnels work well, IF your items are placed close together. If thse 1000 plants are placed in several small areas, like many small farmers have, 1 low tunnel won't work.

Eliot sells alot of 'his' designs to Johnnys, since they are in the same area. I've met him and he gets alot of 'free' things because of his relationship with them. I find that Johnnys is one of the most expensive places to buy things, even using their commercial catalog which most people don't realize that they have. Commercial catalog are about 1/2 price if not lower than the regular catalogs that are sent out.

Johnnys does have alot of information in the catalog, that's why I keep their commercial catalog as one of my favorites online.

Marla

• Weiner7
    12 years ago

Hot caps can be found on www.growcaps.net
    I think they only come in a pack of 10 but they will last for years.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, 10 wouldn't even start me. I plant more than 30 of any variety. And most market gardeners would plant more than 10, it gets expensive after awhile. I know they last, but the upfront costs can break you.

• Weiner7
    12 years ago

I have discovered that Gro-Caps and another company called Hot-Hats do sell bulk but in 500 pieces plus orders, for around $1.00 each. The trouble I found with the paper ones is anchouring them to the soil and with a small wind they are gone also they offer less protection from rain, hail etc.
    A word of caution, do not stack in bright sunlight! I did not read the label carefully. They generated sufficient heat when stacked togeather to distort the shape but they work great! especially on head lettuce and cabbage and you get tight clean leaves that are bug and dirt free.
    Good luck!

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

That's more like it, I could do those.

LOL! about the bright sunlight, I had some liners that had that happen.

thanks for the research.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor