Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radiation

Posted by boulderbelt 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 6:21

I see from the very scary forecast maps that the NE US is being covered in radioactive isotopes from Fukushima and that means (though I know I don't want to think about this) our soils, water and crops (as well as us) are getting irradiated and are becoming radioactive.

I suppose the gummints will start raising the "safe" levels of radiation exposure (actually the US gov't already did on Friday) so we all don't panic but we farmers are facing a deadly serious problem-how do we grow in radioactive soils. how do we protect our soils and crops from contamination?

We have already been shown that high tunnels, green houses and row covers are useless against this radiation as Japan is light years ahead of us in the US when it comes to season extension and plant protection using such things and the crops grown in the Fukushima prefecture are all contaminated.

The good news is we are all in this together

The bad news is we are all in this together

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radiation

I would not worry to much about our radiation levels.here are 2 links.
http://www.blackcatsystems.com/RadMap/map.html

mark.

Here is a link that might be useful: radiation levels

o
RE: Radiation

Unfortunately there are alot of things that we can't do anything about, just pray for the best.

Marla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here