Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

Mini hoop house question

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

We added a mini hoop house this year after getting the cold crops in the ground. I have most if not all my seeds started this year and have started putting the trays in it until we can get them transplanted into the main garden.

It is small only 7x16 x 5'6" tall. I know it's small, but my parents have a tough time getting into the cold frames now days.

My question is we covered the top and partial ends but haven compleetly closed our ends in yet. Our night temps are in the 50s now. Since we are just storing the plants in it do we need to close the ends off? I know we need to for the fall but at the moment we are having to open the cold frames every sunny day.

Thanks for the patience. I am new to anything that resembles a green house.

Comments (15)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

With 50s as low, I keep the ends open. I will close the ends if temps are forecasted for the 30s. It helps to harden the plants off.

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

Wind protection is the biggest benefit of end walls for me, but that depends on the wind you get at your location. It's nice to be able to close everything up right before a storm.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well no reason I can't fasten it to the header and roll it up. I can cut the vent and door in it later when things are slower. If I need to we can roll it down.
    Thanks for the replies.

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

what are you growing in it?

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right now we are just holding tomato plants in it until we can move them to the garden when it dries some. I know wage tomatoes like heat.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Tomatoes will be fine with night temps in the 50's. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot for them during the day with the plastic on.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do. We have been growing for years but this is our first venture into a greenhouse. Would hate to cook all the plants we spent the last month+ growing.

How hot is too hot? We usually prop the cold frames open around 80

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Well, with lows in the 50's, I'm wondering if you need to have the tomatoes in the hoophouse at all - except that it gives protection from the wind and from critters. 80-90 is fine for tomatoes, but with plastic over and not much ventilation, and possibly crowded togther in flats (?) I'd be worried about disease (bacterial and fungal). Better for them to be in the open air with a windbreak (and of course protection if it rains heavily or hails).

When did you start the tomato seeds? Are the plants big enough to just harden off and transplant already?

I'm assuming you're in TX?

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

You need to open the hoop from 50 degrees. Above 90, you will stress those tomato plants.

• cal_mario
    10 years ago

if you have some shade cloth it would be a very good idea to have it over the tomato plants during the hottest hours of the day until you can plant them outside and keep the hoophouse open unless you get lots of wind.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We may get them in the ground this weekend if the rain will hold off. Going to start tilling some tomorrow. These go in the main field and until today it was too wet get any work done.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

All the more reason to vent the house - it's not the heat, it's the humidity (and lack of circulation) that will cause the disease. Do you have a fan you can run in there?

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I've hung a box fan in the center of the top, off the top rail, just to get more circulation.

If you can get those tomato plants outside, they'll be better off unless hail is forecasted. That way they will be hardened off against wind in addition to temperature.

Temperatures above 90 will stunt the plant from producing good blooms.

Humidity is fungi and bacteria's friend, but temps will kill the plants.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Too hot in there today, moving them outside tomorrow. It will come in handy this fall.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus