Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitterpat_2009

GREEN Beans best cool soil variety

pitterpat_2009
11 years ago

Jumping the gun if I plant these here in Michigan just yet,

will try a couple rows in a couple weeks, I have Provider and Rocodor for yellow, have planted jade in the past have not had good luck with them so am trying a couple new varieties this year purple beans did not sell that well for me last year.

Would anyone like to give up their favorite failproof green bean selections.

Pitter Patter,lets get atter, thats what this weather is making think!

Comments (10)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

Dark colored bean seed usually germinates better in cooler soil than white seeded varieties. I planted Provider several weeks ago and have a decent stand of green beans.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Definitely use the dark colored seed for cooler soil, save the white seeds for later.

I don't have good luck selling the purple beans, but we can them.

Marla

• 2fennelshirts
    11 years ago

I'm also in Michigan,"The U.P.", I plant Provider(green), Carson (yellow),and Royal Burgundy (purple). Two years ago I started mixing all 3 colors together in one big basket (I sell them seperate too)-sold out every time !! I do this also with 6 colors of carrots and 4 colors of beets-sell out every time !! They come back for more every week !!
    Deb

• pitterpat_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jay for your encouragement.

I want to hear more about your colored carrots, I have a hard time growing carrots or rather starting them , I need to start a carrot growing tip post.
    Maybe I will throw in some purples, just for variety.
    thanks

• 2fennelshirts
    11 years ago

The purple beans turn green when they are cooked !!
    Deb

• Jon_dear
    11 years ago

I have an heirloom green bean that is dark like Provider, but the beans are flat like a Romano. They taste really good. I'd like to know if they'd have any commercial value, or if they even have a name. I think I need to do some serious research.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I call the purple beans, 'green beans for dummies' since they are green after they're cooked enough.

Jon-I don't know if they would have commercial value, but if you grow them and they sell, that would be good enough for me. Probably not enough to sell the seeds, tho.

• sundacks
    11 years ago

Love Jade - the beans are so special, and yield is not usually a problem. Have you tried some of the pole beans? Rattlesnake is my favorite - a lot of beans growing vertically instead of horizontally.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

Provider, Provider, Provider! It is known for cold tolerance. I have planted it very early before, in fact...

will do this week.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Jade is a wonderful bean, but I haven't planted it. A friend did and I got some from him. He stated that Jade will hold on the plant longer than most, and I'll have to admit that I didn't get mine preserved as soon as I should have, probably 5-7 days after picking. the amazing thing is without refrigeration, they still SNAPPED like freshly picked.

My bean standbys are Provider, Contender, Cherokee Wax (black seed)and Royal Burgundry.

Marla

Sponsored