Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whfpa

1st market of the year this Friday and not much to take to market

whfpa
9 years ago

This Friday is the 1st market of the year at one of the 3 markets I am selling at this year. This market started a lot earlier than last year while the other 2 start in June. With all of the snow and cold weather we received here in SEPA things got delayed as far as planting. Most of my transplants aren't at a harvestable size yet but I do have some radishes, microgreens and arugula ready to go but not much.

So I plan on just taking what I have and also using the time at the market to promote the farm since it's brand new. I was a vendor at this market last year but under a different name as a backyard gardener. I've since expanded to 2 acres to micro-farm and changed the business name to reflect an actual farm and not a backyard garden.

What have you done in this situation? I don't want to not show up since the 1st week is where everyone gets their assigned spaces plus the season is already paid for.

Comments (13)

• kelise_m
    9 years ago

I don't grow plants to sell but I have taken some extra transplants in the past just to make my table look fuller. Definitely go, it will pay off later when the customers know they can count on you to be there every week.

• little_minnie
    9 years ago

I bring plants, flower bouquets, canned and baked goods. I like when the markets start early so I can sell plants.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    9 years ago

Definitely go! We went to a first one Tues. in rainy weather and start another tomorrow and although there is little to take the relationship is worth establishing. I noticed that many customers don't even want to purchase plants yet but the will return and that counts for something.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I bring plants to the first markets when I don't have much else. Bring jams and jellies, baked goods, whatever you're allowed to sell.

If you have pictures of your expanded farm (HTs, etc.) or last year's produce, bring a photo album. I bring a binder with a picture and description of each type of tomato I'm selling starts of. I also have a page for a mailing list in case someone wants to get more info on growing the plants, hand out business cards if they want to contact me later.

• whfpa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I went to the local herb grower and picked up some 3.5" potted herbs. I can't sell prepared foods because of the stupid laws in place and no permits from the health board.

I'm going to use tonight as a meet and greet and an opportunity to work out any bugs I might have with the mobile CC scanner (Square). This will be the 1st time using the Square reader.

Honestly if I just make $15 to cover my weekly fee I'd be ok with that for tonight. But I should be able to make a small profit tonight even with the limited offerings.

Next week should be better with the way the lettuce is starting to grow. I plan on selling all baby heads this year since my farm is small and need to focus on intensive turnover. Plus I can fit more baby heads in the same spot than mature size heads.

• whfpa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I forgot to update everyone on how it went. I sold out of my radishes, arugula and baby arugula veggies and sold 14 out of 20 potted herbs.

I should have some lettuce available this week to add to the offerings.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Square works great. JMO

I thought that was an excellent suggestion from kelise. Tomato/pepper/other seedlings in nearly-transplantable size would be something that could ease those early season veggie uncertainties. They and a well written tomato/pepper/other fact sheet could make you slightly more of a go-to person early on.

And worms!

I.E. stuff that helps beat the calendar and that can be dropped later as real food fills your booth spaces.

9 years ago

Almost wish I would have purchased the square but I purchased a terminal instead thru Sams Club Merchant services. I needed it to accept SNAP benefits which I'm hoping will be a game changer.

Without asparagus I would be relying almost totally on plant sales. My lettuce is a little small yet for what people seem to be looking for and I believe I would have sold herbs like chives and mint potted but can hardly sell cut bunches. Guess I'll just dig it up and pot it.

Today was a huge difference in market customer turnout and purchases from last week. The weather is much improved, people are thinking Spring, and Sunday is Mothers Day.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Sometimes I wish I grew flowers instead of veggies. Hanging baskets sell really well this weekend, bedding plants I imagine all spring. But then I'd need to get a GH.

Trying to pot up tomaoes as quickly as I can into 3.5 - 4" pots and start hardening them off. I haven't even been out back, have lots of work to prep the beds (incl new beds in HT area, we'll put up the tunnel later - hoops ASAP and plastic later) but organic co-op has pickup day on the 16th, I met with board and they're letting me advertise in monthly newsletter, want me to bring plants on the 16th for members who may want to buy starts. Going to be warm here but I don't know if I'll have them hardened off by then, and not much root development in that short time. I may be restricted to Brandywine, Mark Twain, and Black Krim that I potted up 4/17-19 so nice big rootballs.

It's finally getting warm enough that I can leave them in the garage at night - will set up tables/shelves and move those 3 out today. Problem with hardening off is that it's going to be raining for the next 3 days (counting today), 76 on Sunday, then T-storms for the 3 days after that, raining on the 16th as well.

I might have to tell everyone the plants aren't hardened off yet, though I can get them used to cooler nights in the garage, won't be able to give them much sun and I'm afraid of heavy rain/wind this week.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I'll bet none of the other growers there had much more.

I learned from a friend that growers in PA are saying everything is 2 weeks behind.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I started tomatoes and peppers late this year, figuring on a late spring. Didn't count on it getting so warm end of May. The only things I started early were lettuces, spinach, and kale. Lettuce is outside, we'll see if Tom Thumb produces anything of size (they're supposed to be mini so I can pick early, but I'd like them to be 4") before it bolts, but spinach and kale is probably toast. Never grown spinach, and no one wanted kale last summer anyway, so I'll just try those in the spring. Might seed some Tendergreen mustard for salads, Green Wave was a bit too spicy last year.

Think I should try maruba santoh? Supposed to be long-standing - it did eventually bolt last year, no one wanted it but if I can market it to this co-op it may do better than at market. A lot of the members have gardens and/or belong to CSAs, but think that's unusual enough that they'd give it a try?

9 years ago

Ltilton, we are behind in many crops in PA but when that last predicted potential frost day arrives everyone will demand all of their vegetable bedding plants and want them to be of good size.

I think in many ways it is good to have some crops on the late side. I'm hoping for a better apple crop this year after no crop in 2012 and 40% crop last year. My apple trees have buds showing but are not blooming yet.

One oddball event we are seeing is the makings of a drought. Rain has been in the forecast almost every day but all we get is clouds. Some areas are getting soaking rains while others are not. Crops like peas should be growing well even in cooler weather but the ground is too dry.

• LocavoreT
    9 years ago

I am glad to see that some farmers markets are opening up early, even if it is just with limited offerings.

The first farmers market of there year always signals the time to really start sourcing local and helping grow local farmers.

Glad to hear you were able to do well at your first market.

This Agri-graphic just shows why I love local farmers markets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Farmers Markets?

Sponsored