Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthacr

looking to make water resistant tags

marthacr
10 years ago

I sell herbs by the bunch to a local market. They have displayed them in the past by putting them in mason jars of water. This year I want to add to my "line" by grouping several herbs with a recipe attached, such as a marinade recipe. I'm trying to figure out how to attach a tag or label with the information on it that won't be bothered by the water. One choice is creating a water resistant tag, the other is a display that will accomodate small recipe "cards" that can be attached to the vessel holding the herb bunches. Does anyone here do anything similar? I do not want to invest a lot of money, of course, and prefer using recycled material. I could also post the recipes on a Facebook page if I could figure out how to make one for my farm business. I have tried to do this, but not been able to figure out a business page. But that is another subject which I will search this forum for answers to...

Comments (8)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Is there a spray on shellac that might work? just thinking outside of the box. I've tried the self sealing laminate sheets, they work somewhat, but after awhile the water can seep under the seal. I think there was a thread discussing this a few years ago, but don't remember.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I'd just do recipe cards to put in a small box next to the display. That way people can keep the recipe and you won't have to make a large enough, water-resistant tag to print it/them on.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

When I planted last year, I put a seed pack or a card with the name and info that was planted into a Ziplock snack bag. I zipped it closed, then bunched up the end of the bag and put a bag tie around the end of the bag to secure it to stakes, cattle panels, CRW cages, etc. with the zip side facing down as much as possible. They lasted the entire growing season. I think you could put a card in a snack bag and as long as it is zipped tight and no holes were punched through it, I think that would work for your cards.

• henhousefarms
    10 years ago

These are what we use for our cider jugs and plant stakes (obviously different sizes). In both applications they are exposed to water and hold up very well. We have some on stakes that have been outside all winter and still look as crisp as the day they were applied. These are for an ink jet printer - they also have them for laser printers. One trick that we found was to set your printer to the lowest ink setting possible (I think on my Cannon it is Draft). On the regular setting the printer applies too much ink and they smear a little but draft is just perfect. There are free templates available from these guys if you need. On my honey jars I just use regular mailing labels as they are not exposed to wet conditions.

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Weatherproof Matte Inkjet Labels

• marthacr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tom, this is just what I had in mind! Do you think this online source is the only place to find them? The $ and quantity is a little more than I need, but maybe I can find someone else local to split a box to try.

• boulderbelt
    10 years ago

Martha, they will be one of the cheapest sources for labels. I have used them for year because they are 1/2 the price of Avery Label with as good of quality. If you do the math the labels are no more than 10â each and when you add you ink and time, they will still be under 20â and thus cheaper than any other water resistant label you can find.

• marthacr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, Thanks!

• henhousefarms
    10 years ago

Martha - they are the cheapest place I have found. I have some blanks for our cider jugs (2"x5") if that size would be of any use to you.

Tom

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz