Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ever use an earthwway seeder???

Posted by tn_jed (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 11:23

i have one its worked great the past 3 years planting peas okra and some corn and lettuce this year i take it out to try and plant some early okra and peas cabbage and lettuce and all the seed keeps getting up behind the seed plate and locking it up is their a trick to this thing i don't know about i am going to be needing to use it a lot more this year, my good friend that i used to borrow his 2 row corn planter passed away and i didn't have time to go to the auction to save any of his stuff, man i am kickin myself now planting corn and okra was so easy with that rig but now i have to go back to the earthway and it just keeps locking up on me please help if you can i got about 20 200ft rows of okra and peas to plant and now im just burning daylight

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ever use an earthwway seeder???

wish i could help you but i have the same problem with mine. look for a thread where this was discussed because i think someone had a cure for it.

o

SAme here. I have 4 of them. I put 3 together as a gang planter. I've bought new ones with the same problem right out of the box, old ones same thing. I've got new plates, no luck. I've tried the talcum powder and everything I could think of. The only thing that I've done is to put little 'bonnets' over the top of the seed containers to hold the 'popping' seeds, but that doesn't help with the locking up.

I've went back to hand seeding any larger seeds, and have almost given up with the little bitty seeds.

o

Don't over-fill the seed hopper. It has a full line and if I go over that it starts popping seeds. Otherwise it works quit well.

o

I have given up on my earthway, at this time, due to the popping seeds. I have kept the seeds well below the full line, and they still pop. I have went back to hand seeding what seeds I plant. I just don't plant as many direct seeded items.

o

I believe one of the solutions is to put something like Lemon Pledge on the back of the seed plate and on the wall of the hopper that touches the seed plate. I have not done this with ours but it makes the surface slick enough so that seeds don't get caught and crushed.

o

Now I have to find my Pledge, I'll have to try that. If it works, I may carry a can to the garden with me.

o

As i remember you apply it once every year or so (unless you wash the seeder)

o

thanks for all of your knowledge, tomorrow before the rains come in, I'll have to try it.

o

I just got my earthway last month, have the same problem with any of the smaller seed, plus my seedbed wasn't as clean as needed.

Here is a fix I found while searching around on the problem, haven't personally had the time to do it to mine but it is on my master to-do list for one evening

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthway Seeder Fix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here