Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowpie51

2011 season officially open

cowpie51
13 years ago

I have all my ducks in a row and the weather is finally been ok. here are some new pics.

Comments (8)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Mark,

Which tractor do you use to pull the plow and disc? How many HP? How good do you rate the job it does on soil that has been previously worked?

Mike

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Mark, looks good. Isn't 3pts nice? We just got a tractor with 3 point. We have been using pull type equipment, and 3pt now has a 2 bottom plow (borrowed), grader blade and post hole digger. The pull types are mower and disc. Hopefully soon the friend with the chisel plow will get done with his place and we can use it.

I started off thinking that the garden tractor size would work, but soon found out that I have too much ground. Where did you get the chisel for your lawn mower? It looks like what we could use between the rows.

I went to my first Amish auction today and brought home some broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower plants. Mine are doing this year, but not enough.

Marla

• cowpie51
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marla, that field cultivator is 3 feet wide and is a little wide for most rows , but I us my 18 inch tiller to handle most weeding and for tight fit crops i use my 6 inch mantis. Mark

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I usually try for 3' between rows (I have enough land to do so) mainly in case the plants go alittle wild. We have a front tine tiller, but we plant more than it will handle. Never have used a Mantis, they do look cute for small places.

We have 2 riding mowers and 1 ATV that I could use if could find cheaply priced equipment.

Marla

• cowpie51
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marla, a mantis type mini-tiller is great you can weed right up close to the plants and do 200 feet every 5-10 minutes.
    They rip right along.
    Mark

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

They also will wear you out! You have to pull, not push them and the ones I have used will leave your hands and arms numb after a while. They ARE great tillers, I had to rent one a couple of years ago when my tiller died and I had to get the garden in shape to sow winter wheat, but I'll take my front-tine tiller over the mantis every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Mike

• cowpie51
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, they have a purpose.When you have 3 or more rows,over 200 feet long of green beans,lettuce or any other tight spaced crop, spaced at 12-15 inches or less like most space conscious growers are likely to have, nothing beats them unless you have a large wheel hoe. Trust me,been there,done that many times.
    Mark.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Mark,

Just to be contrary (actually not!) I can take the outside tines off my tiller and till a row probably no more than 15" wide. A foot wide - no way can I use it, and I really have grown plants were the rows were 12" apart would be overstating the width - carrots and onions come to mind. It is likely a weapon I will need to add to my arsenal. I like them - I really do.

I suspect I will learn a lot about intensive gardening this year! When I was young, and dad grew a garden, space was not at a premium. Everything we planted was done at about 34" between rows, wide enough to let a Cub tractor with cultivators plow them, Even peas and beans.

BTW, my rows will be about 210-225 feet long! If I can "git it done," at least 12 of them. I wish I could get more of the area ready, but it ain't gonna happen this year, much to my dismay.

Thanks for your help. Posters like you and Marla are really helping me along this new path!

Mike

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County