Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakbas147

Watering plug trays

oakbas147
19 years ago

What is the best way to water plug trays (288)? I like to bottom water to avoid damping off but the 1020 flats are too deep and I have to fill them all the way up to the brim. This takes a lot of time and wastes water.

-Thanks

Doug

Comments (15)

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    19 years ago

What do you have in the plug trays? For most I prefer bottom watering but I have 11 of the 288 trays of onions that I just sprinkle water on from a hose. For a host of plants you probably wouldnt keep them in the 288s very long anyhow. Once they get bigger the plant growth starts to get crowded and they root mass will suck up all the water from that small amt. of soil mix so the dry out daily. I know your dilema but aren't those 288s the "bees knees"? I just purchased my first case of them this year and made a 12 tip vacuum planter wand to seed them. Watering ismy only gripe too.

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am growing tomatoes, peppers, marigolds, and other bedding plants.

• naturemitch
    19 years ago

Hi,

Know your dillemma too! I stopped getting plug trays for that very reason(plus I don't seed into the trays...so I could get around not having them).

But, picked up some 98 ct pro trays(I really liked the size and wanted to try them) for starting basil and found out they won't work in the 1020s. What does work is what they call display trays...they are only about an inch high(if that) and wouldn't be good for any inserts or trays that are high(too unbalanced). They are wonderful for the shorter plug trays and for what I just picked up.

Guess I'm pretty fortunate that I can just go into town to Jungs and they have a wide selection and at darn good prices.

Check around and hope you can find something that works.

good luck
    m

• heidi41
    19 years ago

To top water our plug trays we use a "wand type" mist sprayer. Works great. For bottom watering We use large "under the bed" plastic storage boxes. You can fit more than one tray in to the plastic bin. Work great too. There are all sortof large plastic bins available in the houseware sections of most stores. Most are cheaper than buying greenhouse trays. Good luck.Heidi

• arborguard
    19 years ago

Hi!

I have had this same problem! Thanks for all the info!

• adrianag
    19 years ago

Also check out the concrete mixing trays at Home Depot and Lowes. Big, deep and cheap and they come in two sizes.

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mitch,
    Do you know the item number at Jung's? I called them and they couldn't find them.
    -Doug

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mitch,
    Do you know the item number at Jung's? I called them and they couldn't find them.
    -Doug

• naturemitch
    19 years ago

Hey Doug,

I'm writing this from work , so if you can hold tight I'll check when I get home.

What I might have to do is give them a call and I'll get you a number. I know they don't show much in their catalog, but they have tons of different trays and inserts in their retail store.

I'll post tomorrow.

till then....m

• naturemitch
    19 years ago

Doug-

Here is what you need....

They call them low no-hole trays, stock # 53201 and go for .99 a piece. The girl told me they can ship out of their Randolph, WI store. Don't know if there is a minimum or not.

Hope this helps..

have a great day
    m

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mitch,
    Thanks for getting me this info-I ordered them today.
    -Doug

• amy_york
    19 years ago

Doug,
    hate to bug you but.. could you get the measurements of the display trays?? wondering if some things here might fit well. LxWxdeep really appreciate it
    Amy mac

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Amy,
    I haven't received them yet, but when I do I'll tell you.
    -Doug

• oakbas147
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Amy, I received the trays today. They are the T&O Plastics No Hole Germination Trays. The measurements are on the weights and measures PDF on the link.
    -Doug

Here is a link that might be useful: Trays

• forest_er
    18 years ago

I made a table with a rim of 1"x1" stock and then laid plastic over it and use it as an ebb and flow, I would fill it with the trays on it, go weed or what ever and then come back and let the water out which would go on some flowers next to the table.

I am going to build an ebb and flow set up of table in sires, the first one fills and then at the end of a pre determined time the water is move by pump or gravity to the next table and so on.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES