Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leetrue_hulcher

weed killer and strawberries

Lee True Hulcher
19 years ago

Hey all,

Bad question here, but I have to ask. I have 3000 strawberry plants in about 1/2 an acre and they are being smothered by weeds faster then I can weed by hand. Question is: does anyone out there know of a weed killer that won't harm the strawberries, but give me a head start on the weeds? Like a weed and feed for strawberries?

thanks LeeC

Comments (8)

• kevinw1
    19 years ago

Mulch? Something heavy enough to squish the existing weeds that you can lay down between the plants, like maybe wet cardboard or lots of newspaper layers?

Kevin

• anniew
    19 years ago

I have 1000 with the same problem. If I don't get them under control this year, I think I'll till them under. I did till between the rows last year late-ish, and that has made a difference, but there are too many weeds in the rows, and therefore, not enough runners, so production is low. I think it is easier to start over with a weed-free spot. Is there such a place?
    Ann

• Lee True Hulcher
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Has anyone out there ever used the black plastic with the 2" holes cut in it every 6" or so. I am wondering how long it would take to transplant 3000 muture strawberries plus all the runners to that system? Leec

• anniew
    19 years ago

Lee,
    I think you'd be better off starting with new plants!
    Ann

• jayreynolds
    19 years ago

IMHO, the key to keeping strawberries weed free is a good start, and plenty of mulch. I use wood chips and practically smother the plants as winter approaches. many growers use straw, I've also used chopped leaves, but be careful about using whole leaves which mat down and smother. I've used aged sawdust, but would suggest a light application of straw on top of that to keep the berries clean, because sawdust tends to splash up on the berries and make them dirty. Unless your soil is rich, you might need extra nitrogen to counteract the way some high carbon mulches draw it away from the soil.

The strawberries can push through 2" of mulch easily in spring, if they had a good start getting established in the fall. Most commercial growers use soil fumigation to start off clean at planting time and replant after one crop. This allows them to use plasticulture, and they don't use the runners. Some use up to 6" of straw during winter, but pull it back in spring to allow emergence.

That said, if you get a section clean weeded, and since the berries probably haven't started active growth yet, try mulching now, preferably with something that you can sprinkle on. Good luck.

• rainydays
    19 years ago

Poast...

• Lee True Hulcher
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks guys, and gals LOL,
    I am not willing to give up on my plants yet. I like the mulching idea, but all I have at this time for mulch is goat manured straw, mixed in with some alalfa. I don't know the weed content in this stuff, but will give it a shot.
    Thanks again for the help
    LeeC

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert