Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer resistant vegies

Posted by starwoodfarm OR Z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 16:07

My hero/husband built a 7 foot deer fence that has worked wonders. We may want to grow more than will fit inside the acre that it surrounds. Has anybody found any vegies that are deer resistant that we can grow outside the fence? Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer resistant vegies

Deer do differently in different places. I grow my onions, garlic, potates and peppers outside the deer fence. However one person a half mile away claims the deer will dig his potatoes. The deer haven't bothered my corn either. Good luck to you and eat more venison!

Robert

o
RE: Deer resistant vegies

Deer can learn to eat many things. In my area, we have VERY heavy deer pressure. One fellow grows his potatoes outside the fence, but hills them up well and hasn't any problems. Garlic, etc hasn't been bothered.

Squash and , peppers, tomato get eaten. well, last year I had butternut on the fence. One rouge learned that the growing tips were pretty good. I learned which 'rouge' it was and 'eliminated' the problem and had no more trouble.

Sweet Corn has worked but only when a small amount of it is grown along with an acre of field corn. It's a matter of 'flooding the market'. Some gets sacrificed, and coons are a worse problem than deer on the corn.

The only thing I would try is garlic, onions.

Oh, don't ask me what can happen if by chance a loose herd of cattle happens to wander through a garden and spend some time. Another good reason to protect your investment in your crops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here