Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How late is too late to start seedlings?

Posted by breezynosacek 7VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 16:18

Hey guys, I grow stuff in a greenhouse but most of it is house plants and I just rented a booth at the farmer's/flea market. I found to my surprise that there is only one person there that is selling plants so far.

I have a few flats full of tomatoes and peppers but my big question is, how late is too late to start seedlings in order to sell them?

So far, I am looking at having only 12 flats of tomatoes and 4 flats of bell peppers if I can get that many peppers, those suckers sure are slow.

Steph in zone 7 down around the NC border.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How late is too late to start seedlings?

I find that tomato and pepper plants sell from our first market at the end of April, through to about the beginning of June, and then peter out. It depends a lot on your growing season and timing though. I should think you'd want tomatoes to be at least 6 weeks old to sell, and peppers more like 8-10 weeks, they are so slow, so you'd need to count back from the last date you'd expect people to still be buying them to see when is the last date you'd want to be sowing them.

Kevin

o

I'm a bit further south than you - Charlotte, NC - but I started my first batch of heirloom tomato and pepper plants on Feb 01. They will be going to the market with me this weekend. They could probably use another week or two but, for the most part, they should be good to go!

o

Thanks!

I just discovered something. I started a new flat of tomatoes and because of the increased night temps and the stronger sunlight they are growing faster.

Steph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here