Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper plants and cold

Posted by grow_life 6A OH (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 17:25

I had a fellow market gardener around here tell me that pepper plants will vernalize if they get exposed to temps in the 40's and will then grow thick lush foliage but set very little fruit through the rest of the growing season. Anyone else heard of this, and if there is anything to it, should I give up on my flat of Thai that got frost nipped?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper plants and cold

That's been my experience with pepper plant seedlings exposed to temps below 45F.

Yeah, give up on them or have very few this season

o

Not to second guess boulderbelt who always has good advice, but i've never had this problem. The temps in my greenhouse regularly dip below 45F in late winter when my peppers are still in flats and I have great fruit sets regardless.
Frost nipped plants may be another level of extreme, and i can't say from experience if they'll recover. Good luck.
-Mark

o

Haven't had that issue myself, but perhaps it has something to do with duration of uninterrupted exposure as well. I plant mine out in early June when average lows are in the upper 40s and we get mid-40s occasionally throughout the summer.

o

Thanks for the input. Doing a bit more research online shows the jury is still out, with the effect noted but dependent on air temperature, soil temperature, duration of event, and plant variety. I guess nobody has done a direct study to test all the variables. I've started another flat of the same varieties and they will be under grow lights indoors until it is much warmer out. In the meantime I have moved the afflicted flat inside as well. They appear to have recovered nicely and are growing on well. I'll try planting them out side by side and see if there is a difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here