Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil Plants-Is this a good price?

Posted by andreaz6wv 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 17:38

I didn't seed any basil this year and need to get some whether for market or myself. I called a local greenhouse and they are selling their 6 packs of sweet basil for $6.65.

I know it is so much cheaper to start your own and I ordered some this winter, I just didn't get to it.

What do you think of this price?

Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil Plants-Is this a good price?

To me, that's TOO much. You can still start some started. I start basil thru=out the summer.

o

Start your own ... it's only April.

o

I agree with the others. It's very easy to start from seed. You have plenty of time. :)

o

Good enough!! Thank you for responding. I was going to buy several 6-packs, but will start some today :-)

Andrea

o

Andrea,

Goodness, yes, do start your own from seed. I started some about two weeks ago and they're already up and have their first true leaves.

I have a deep appreciation for the work nurseries do but for something that grows this fast, just get those seed in the flat, girl!

Mary

o

Andrea,

From the opposite shore: How many plants were you going to start? IME, six plants will provide bunches and bunches of basil over the course of a summer, especially if you cut the tops of stems and let them develop sprouts. Unless you already have the potting mix, cups or flats, lights, etc., you will be hard pressed to spend less than $7.00. Plus, it's going to be at least a month before your plants are reading to go outside.

My plants produce about a pound of leaves each last year and they did not get transplanted until the end of May and I didn't tend them as well as I should have.

I would get a flat or two from the nursery and then start some more from seeds. If you are selling the leaves for $1/oz. and the plants are a decent size, you will pay for them by before your other plants are ready to go outside let alone start producing.

YMMV,

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here