Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andalee

Where to even start?

andalee
9 years ago

Hi there,

So, DH and I are in the process of starting a garden. He has done most of the planning and planting so far. (He dreams big, that one.) ;o)

Here's what we've got: 100' x 120' deer fence with tractor & man gates on the 100' sides on east & west. The south beds (formed with a raised bed attachment behind a tractor last fall) are 55' long, and all but one are planted: 4 rows blueberries, 3 rows raspberries, 3 rows blackberries & 1 row strawberries. (Lest you think one row of strawberries doesn't sound like much, it's 300 plants! lol) A row of asparagus goes in this Saturday to finish up those south beds (fingers crossed).

On the north side of the central path we have three 45' long beds planted into grapes on the east side, and the rest of the area (about 45' wide and roughly 75' or 80' long) for everything else.

(help? . . . lol)

We had it tilled twice last year: once to loosen the pasture and again after we had spread a bunch of organic fertilizer & amendments, and then the bed shaper was rented and we had a neighbor come to shape the beds for the berries & grapes & asparagus. The pasture grasses are beginning to come up again, so we've put landscape fabric around the grapes & some of the blueberries, and I'll have the flat veggie area tilled again to discourage the grass, along with using some kind of cover (more fabric, or thick mulch a la that Back to Eden film).

I'm at a loss as to what to do with this much area for veggies (about 3K sq ft), though. I'm looking forward to all kinds of space hogs (pumpkins, squash, etc.) provided our season is long enough here. It hasn't been real warm yet, but at least it's not as water-logged as last year.

I have very little space to start seeds. Even though we've got lots of space outside, we're living in a 750 sq ft apartment above a garage. (The house is phase 3, after the garage/shop/apartment and garden. lol) I've got some tomatoes coming up, but not anything else started yet. I know it's getting late . . .

I have some great books, and have read most of them over the last decade and more . . . I think I've just forgotten most of it, and I'm overwhelmed with what is before me in this task. (We've already invited one friend's family to use some of the space. We might very well ask a few more!)

Soooo . . . what's your preferred planning method for your garden? What would you do if you were in my place?

I'm not (yet) a market gardener, but I figured this would be the best place to post questions about a garden on this scale. I've had this really deep feeling that I'm supposed to feed people for several years now, so I figured I'll dive in and see what I can do. We're about $5K into this garden, but considering what grocery bills for healthy food is for our family each month, that'll pay for itself in one season if I can get it to produce decently enough to feed us fairly well.

(Below is a photo from last fall, when we moved the hen houses inside the garden fence for the winter. You can see the layout, fence, gates, etc. really well. The chickens are out, and we've added chicken wire all. the. way. around. the. whole. dang. fenceline. to keep them out of the garden. We ordered a deer fence, not thinking about the fact that the chickens could walk right through it! lol The little garden in front is what we've had the last two seasons, and will be taken down, and the raised beds repurposed in the new space, and the t-posts used to support brambles and climbers.)

Thanks so much! :o)

Annalea

Comments (7)

• cole_robbie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you have a plan for irrigation?

• andalee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, yeah. lol Forgot to mention that.

We're running a deep year-round line from the well (out of the photo to the lower right) along the outside of the fence to the tractor gate on the right/west side, and then across the center path to the opposite gate (and on to an office/observatory we're building for DH). There will be a couple of shallower lines coming off of that which will be drained every fall. Those will run the irrigation, and two, maybe three, hydrants for additional watering needs.

In the beginning (i.e. until we get the water lines put in) we'll be dragging very long hoses to hook up to drip lines with emitters at appropriate places on the raised beds, run by timers. We *might* a little overhead watering for the veggie area, but that wholly depends on how we end up setting it up. Drip lines with emitters are pretty inexpensive, and we could irrigate the entire garden that way for just a couple hundred dollars. Not free, but considering the amount of time and water and electricity that could save us, it's a bargain. (We have a decently-producing well with a fairly slow dc-capable pump, and a monstrous cistern. Drip (or other high-efficiency/carefully targeted) irrigation is really a must.)

:o)

Does that sound reasonably realistic?

• cole_robbie
    9 years ago

Everyone's ground is different, but mine has johnson grass so badly that I can't use drip tape without also using black plastic mulch. Irrigation without mulch is a weed explosion. It doesn't have to be black plastic, but mulch of some kind will help you conserve moisture.

• mdfarmer
    9 years ago

I like your setup, but if you're feeling overwhelmed you might want to plant cover crops in some of your rows and only plant as many food crops as you think you can take care of. Cover crops will help with weed control and can do a lot to improved newly tilled soil.

I've read a lot of books on farming, joel salatin, elliot coleman, etc, but my favorite is Sustainable Market Farming, by Pam Dawling. It's very detailed and hands on, with some good info on planning, crop rotation, etc.

Good luck, I think you're off to a great start.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

You've got 300 strawberries in one 55' long bed? How wide? You should put them about a foot apart if they're the runner type. Might want to consider devoting a couple more beds to strawberries if you have that many plants. 300 plants should give you a decent amount if you are selling at a small market or want to preserve some. But it's not enough to bring to market if that's all you have at the time. BTW, you want to pinch all the flowers off this year so no berries until next year.

How far apart have you put the bramble canes? They will spread too you know. Blueberries don't spread as much, and you're going to be waiting a few years to pick those (maybe get a small crop of brambles next year, but more likely 2 years on those too). Asparagus takes a few years (not sure how long, I've never grown it) too.

Too late to start tomatoes and peppers from seed now, you'll have to buy plants if you want them this year. When's your last frost date? I imagine you should be getting them into the ground sometime in the next couple of weeks (at least in a normal year, we're running a little colder than normal here).

So, that doesn't leave much for something to harvest this year except things that can be direct-seeded, or started later and transplanted midsummer for a fall crop.

What does your family like to eat? I wouldn't count on selling this year (or maybe even next, unless you start tomatoes and such early - can you manage a greenhouse if your house house isn't built by next March?).

You can still do beans, potatoes, squash (summer and winter, incl. pumpkins), cukes, carrots, turnips, later can put in brassicas for a fall crop. Might be too late for lettuce in your zone - here it's getting late, I was trying to get a jump by starting seeds last month but haven't been able to get them hardened off and transplanted so barely have time to direct-seed and harvest before it bolts in June (if this June is close to normal, which for the nightshades' sake I hope it is). I'll throw in the starts I have as soon as it gets above freezing at night.

Put in the tomatoes you have though it doesn't sound like many. BTW, go emitters on everything, no overhead watering - just contributes to foliar diseases - and the drip tape/emitters get more water to the roots where it's needed anyway.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Start by growing enough for your family, and put the rest into a cover crop.

You've bitten off a LOT already. With tending the fruits and harvesting them, and processing them, that's a huge job.

• brgcuvi
    9 years ago

I would expected a decent strawberry harvest for you later this summer/early fall; depends if you planted ever bearing or June bearing. We planted our ever bearing strawberries last spring and had a very nice crop end of July/early August thru first frost in October. The commercial growers in our state plant a new crop of June bearing every year (on that large a scale they say it's not worth the fight with disease to keep a crop more than one season). Our 1,500 plants should be here the end of this week!

Asparagus we don't begin harvesting until the 3rd year. (except for sneaking a few spears for dinner the first and second year after planting). We tilled 1/3 an acre this weekend for the 3,000 spears due to arrive next week.

If you purchase your starts there are still plenty of things you can fill that space with. We have 7500 seedlings going right now (haven't started the cukes or squash yet) but a large portion of those will be sold.

Cover crop or mulch. The biggest mistake we made was trying to keep up with weeding. Oh my what a mistake that was : )