Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyfarms

Selling Radishes

skyfarms
13 years ago

Hi Market Growers!

I've been lurking for awhile now and really enjoy reading and learning from everyone's posts in this forum.

My question today concerns marketing radishes. How well do they sell at your markets? They just don't seem to be very high on people's shopping lists but I am wondering if they sell better at farmer's markets than at the grocery store. They are so pretty! Do you all provide some good, proven recipes with your radishes?

I'm growing a few kinds of radishes this year: Easter Egg blend, Plum Purple, Daikon, and French Breakfast. I'm hoping they'll be good sellers!

Thanks,

Marlene

Comments (12)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Recipes help alot. Plus knowledge of what radishes can help body. I just found out that radishes are 1 vegetable that helps to reduce gall stones. They are working for my mother. I will be passing on this information. She was to have surgery, but waited til a friend told her about the radishes, honey and something else. After 3 months, her gall stones were almost gone.

Marla

• cowpie51
    13 years ago

Hello Marlene, Welcome to the forum. My 2 cents worth is that if you have a few bundles of fresh Radish at your Market day they will sell. I do not think I would have any more than 20-40 bundles and go from there.
    We grow Champion radish and a few French Breakfast. Probably about 5-10% of our total sales on Market day in late spring,early summer. If you have fresh Salad greens and some Green onions it really helps the radish sales for fresh salads--yummy! Mark

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

You will never get rich from selling radishes, but they are an essential item in the spring. They grow fast, easy to plant and easier to harvest.

I grow four varieties, Cherry Belle or Crunchy Royal, F. Breakfast, White Ping Pong, and Pink Beauty.

The last two are my favorites.

Sell them bunched, hold in water until displayed and they will sell well.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

The max number of bunches that I have sold in 1 market day was 200. I priced them at 3/$2 and went thru 3 large coolers of them. Other people had them for that price or higher. I didn't realize what their prices were until the end of market. I put between 7-9 radishes in a bunch.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Holding in water is good, just don't let the leaves stay underwater. They get slimy.

I plant radishes with anything that germinates slowly.

I grow Cherry Belle, Sparkler, White Icicle, and White Hailstone. The White Icicle are usually asked for by older people.

Marla

• teauteau
    13 years ago

Jay,
    You indicated the radishes should be held in water. Do you leave the leaves on? The reason I'm asking it seems when I leave the leaves on radish, carrots, turnips, beets, they get soft as the day wears on. I was just wondering. I didn't think about setting them in water. I have used water for mint, basil and scallions.
    thx,
    T

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I alway leave the leaves on. Some people eat the leaves, they fix them like 'greens'. Just keep at least the lower part (root) in water. Also, don't let the leaves get too cold, like placing on ice/ice containers.

Marla

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

I just put them in 18 gallon totes and put several inches of water in the bottom, or until they are covered. I do in this for beets, radishes and Haikuri turnips. I don't take carrots with the tops on, it takes ups alot of room. I usually leave on 1-2 inches of green and them wash and bag them up.

Jay

• skyfarms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for sharing your radish experiences! I haven't filled my gardens with radishes but I've planted a lot along side the carrots and other root crops for spring and just don't want to end up eating them all myself or throwing them in the compost pile! I don't think I'll have more than what I can sell on market days.

That's a good idea to spread the word about some of the health benefits of certain vegetables to help them sell! Also, that is very helpful to know to keep the roots in water.

Thank you all again for your help! I'm sure I'll be needing more soon enough:)

Marlene

• brookw_gw
    12 years ago

I raise numerous radishes: cherry bell, champion, fr breakfast, hailstone, watermelon, easter egg, purple plum, sparkler, hailstone, and even a couple yellow ones I got from Bakers Creek. Two years ago, I sold out every time. Last year, I couldn't give them away. I sell both bagged and w/leaves on and keep them in a cooler.

Brook

• teauteau
    12 years ago

Thanx for all this helpful information. I sell turnips and beets too and never though to put them in water too. Good tips!

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Brook, last year was strange, things that normally sold-didn't, and vice versa.

marla

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living