Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quick help

Posted by skatcon z3 MN (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 20:40

I am in northern MN and actually have some produce to sell now. But I don't know how to handle it. It is spinach and looseleaf lettuce. Do I wash? Dry? How? any hints or suggestions would be most welcome. I am so excited, it is my first CSA delivery and I want to do it right. Thanks for help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quick help

I always give my greens a quick rinse and shake dry. I harvest in a mesh bag, then dip the bag into a barrel of water, then spin it around in the air. Then let it drip til dry enough.

o

Wash them ASAP after harvest in cold water with salt and vinegar (I do around 1/4 cup salt and 1 cup vinegar for 30 gallons). Trim off any bad leaves and plunge into water. the best way to dry is a salad spinner but if you have good rotator cuffs than get a mesh laundry bag and put the washed greens in that and twirl around your head for a couple of minutes. repeat until all the greens are dried. A commercial salad spinner which costs around $175, takes about 1/5th the time and gets the greens a lot drier and less damaged. I feel it is well worth the cost.

I pack the washed and dried greens into plastic harvest crates lined with clean and dry towels and than put them into the fridge. Keeping greens between 32 and 42 degrees is really important to keep quality up.

For my CSA I bag all the greens as they don't wilt while waiting to be picked up that way. I also keep the shares in a fridge until they are picked up but I have on farm pick up. if delivering you will need enough cooler with ice packs for all the shares to be stored in until pick up.

o

Thank you for the quick response. After spending three hours yesterday hand spinning spinach, I am considering a salad spinner. However the only one I could find was at Johnnie's and was 238 dollars. Do you know of an alternative source that is less expensive? And where do folks get their plastic bags? There must be a site somewhere that caters to market gardeners, but I have not been able to find it.
Thank you again for taking the time from your busy schedule to respond.

o

Try this. I see they have gone up in price since I bought one 10 years ago but still a lot cheaper than Johnnys by $50

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamic salad spinners

o

I ran across the following Harvest Manual at Roxburyfarm

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Manual

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here