Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rules and regs

Posted by blakekr Zone 5B, NY State (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 21:30

I live in a small town in upstate NY. Let's say this small town is famous for "garlic tarts." We have many roadside stands that pop up for a six week season selling "garlic tarts." We get lots of tourism this way and about 100% of our branding comes from our association with garlic tarts.

Short on cash, our local government has suddenly decided that every garlic tart stand needs to buy a permit. They've also thrown in a laundry basket of rules and regs, ranging from the trivial ("business letterhead") to the discouraging ("Show proof of D/B/A" -- Aunt Lottie really didn't want to get a D/B/A to sell her garlic tarts after all) to the simply crushing (worker's compensation and liability).

Supporters of this inventive piece of code say that New York State requires all these things anyway of people who sell "garlic tarts" at roadside stands. Anyone know where one would find more info on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rules and regs

• Posted by magz88 5a - Central Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 12:14

What's a garlic tart?

o
RE: Rules and regs

Most governments have those type of rules, and of course, they want to make money off of anyone that might be making some money. Not everyone reports that money to the IRS, plus the county/state wants theirs.

I don't know what a garlic tart is either, plus educate us. I like garlic. If it's a recipe, please share if you will.

Marla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here