Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_il

This Market Season (amazing spring!)

joe-il
13 years ago

What an amazing spring! Its like mid may in april. We are about 3 weeks ahead right now over last year. Any one pushing things? I planted beans (provider) today (140 row ft) And sweet corn.

I cant get it all done lol. Its like everything can be done at once! I just got my drip down. Need to get succession plantings of lettuce, radish and peas. Need to get melons/cukes started- now I am just thinging about hilling a row and seeding direct. Racing to harden off tomatoes, for some reason my tomatoes are really sensitive to sun this year, they sunbrun easily for some reason. So I am doing a lengthy hardening off process.

So im thinking now.. that warm weather crops will do well this year. Im glad I have the drp irrigation. I bet it will turn out to be a life saver. Im thinking warm and DRYYY. Anyone else?

What are you doing/thinking? How did you think this years sales will be?

Comments (5)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

It has been nice this spring, but many gardeners are getting things in late around here. I only have half of my potatoes in. I am going to try for tomorrow to get some of the others done. I need to plant more radishes, beets, carrots and Lettuce and move my movable tunnels and get the cucumbers and squash transplanted. I also need to work up some ground into beds and get them ready for squash, okra, cucumbers and a few melons.

I still have more tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, bok choy, lettuce to get transplanted along with another 60 hanging baskets of tomatoes. I have bunches of peppers to pot up and some more cucumbers and squash to start.

We have so much to do and it is hard to make a priority list because we want it all done NOW. Oh yea, water, weed and teach school. Also take care of the family. Always a balance!

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

I am so busy finishing up the berries and bushes that I've neglected the annuals. Still I've managed to get in 250 cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower, and chinese cabbage. Just Saturday did I get in the first planting of spring radishes, lettuce, kohlrabi, peas, beets, and chard. The only risky thing I've done is to put in a little over 200 assorted peppers. We had scattered frost Sat, but it didn't hurt a thing. Peaches, nectarines, and cherries are done flowering. I really need to get some corn in the ground but just got a shipment of 140 more berry plants yesterday, so....We had 5 1/2 inches of rain over the last couple weeks but it has dried up incredibly well. We could actually stand a good shower. One replacement tree to plant and the orchard is complete. 125 more strawberry plants and at last I am done with trees and perennials!!!!
    I'm waiting for May to plant beans and all summer crops. I hope it isn't dry, for I have no water supply yet. A pond, tho, will be coming soon--hopefully next year.

Brook

• skatcon
    13 years ago

This is the first year we have harvested asparagus in April. It is usually mid May before we pick them. But we are also way low on rain. We had no snow in March and no rain in April till we just had a half inch yesterday. I'm afraid we will be doing a lot of watering on our sand. I don't know if we dare take a chance on frost or not. We had a frost a week ago. Usually have the last frost the first of June. This year, who knows. Lilacs are budding out, everything is a least two weeks ahead.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

Uploaded a bunch of photos to my facebook album. I didn't have time to put them on photobucket. I still need to finish weeding and caging another hoop house of cherry tomatoes and bell peppers.

Enjoy,

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring gardening album

• pdxfarmer
    13 years ago

cool pics jay thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?