Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Movable High-Tunnels, MOVED!

Today was moving day and everything moved without a hitch. We were able to push one down the hill. However, the uphill moved, we had to pull with my truck. We probably could have pulled it, however with my foot injury I didn't want to over do it. I will be posting video and pictures tomorrow.

{{gwi:9883}}

Comments (5)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the video of moving the tunnel uphill. My oldest daughter shot the video. I wish she would have got a video of us pushing the other tunnel down the hill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Movable High Tunnel

• joe-il
    14 years ago

Very cool jay! I gonna have to have one of those next. lol

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

I would love to have some movable high tunnels myself, maybe some day. We did finally get our hoop house built, and I love it already. We planted some greens in it yesterday, while it was pouring rain all day outside. It was so nice to be able to work despite all the rain. We are going to be experimenting with growing greens in it to protect them from bugs. We will have to have to see if we can cool it without letting any bugs inside. It is going to be and experiment, hopefully we can get it to work. If not we will just use it for other things, not like it will be a waste or anything.

After we find out how the design of this one holds up we will probably end up building another one for tomatoes, (then we can have some amazing tomato plants like you did last year).

Here is a picture of our helpers from yesterday, that helped us get a bunch of stuff planted.
    {{gwi:1042112}}

Good work Jay. I don't know how you built so may high tunnels so fast, it took us all spring to build ours. Although it is our first one so more than half the time was spent trying to figure out what we were going to do and how we were going to do it. Hopefully next time will be a little easier and faster.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bagardens: Nice tunnel, how big is it?

You have learned another advantage of a high tunnel, working in the rain or wind. I am a teacher and I can only work in the evenings and weekends (until school is out). I can't wait for nice weather. I make my nice weather in my tunnels. Yesterday I transplanted cucumbers and squash and the wind was blowing 25-35 mph outside. I never would have transplanted them outside in that wind, inside a tunnel not a problem.

You do get fast at building a high tunnel, that is if you build the same style. I would bet, that with a tractor or gas powered post hole digger, I could build one of my bigger tunnels in 5-6 hours or less. Probably even faster if I had help. That is if I had the area squared up first. I spend alot of time squaring up my area. It is time well spent in the long run.

Keep us updated!

Jay

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

Jay,
    It is 16 by 32, we had originally planned to make it larger but had to change our plans a little bit. Originally we planned to built walls on the sides. We wanted to make it so we could roll up the sides and have some kind of bug screen on the sides to let in air but not bugs. To make a long story short we were worried out the city considering it to be a permanent structure and having us take it down. The city likes to complain about everything now a days. When I grew up out here they could care less what you did, now things are different.

If we end up not liking how this one was built, the next one we will probably be able to built with sides, since it will be in the back and is not visible from the street.

I now see why you kept adding more high tunnels after you built your first one. They are very addicting. I was just thinking the other day about how many I might be able to get away with building.

I forgot to post a link to my blog, you can check it out if you like. I have some more pictures on there.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!