Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
innisfail_gw

Selling and pricing Rhubarb

innisfail
15 years ago

We are fortunate enough to get very good Rhubarb crop .

How would I sell it, by weight Lbs. or Kgs., or .......

What would it be worth ? I am in Canada zone 3a

Comments (16)

• innisfail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got last year 4 plants for free, split them up into 30, and they did very well, had lots of rhubarb than and they look really good now ( 29 survived )
    This year I got 2 plants for free, also split into 30, so I guess, I could have lots of it .

With seeds we have had no problems germanating, but most did die afterwards .

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

I have never divided rhubarb roots. What is the best way to do it?

Sue

• innisfail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is how I divided my rhubarb .

Dig up the whole plant ( just when it starts coming up in the spring )
    Chop it to pieces as long as every piece has a crown ( that is where the leaves start. )
    Plant it with just the crown barely above the soil ( It can die back a bit, do not worry )
    I always dump the extra roots in an extra hole,just in case
    if I missed one .

They say you can only take a few stalks that year, but I harvest them as much as I can .
    If the roots grow big enough, you can do it again .
    This worked well for me, just try .

• innisfail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally sold Rhubarb, and lots of it .
    Advertised on KIJIJI ( I do not know if you have this in the U.S.A. ) which is FREE .

I asked for $ 1.50 per Kilo, just the stalks, and it is going, have no travel costs and market fees .( everything picked-up from the yard, freshly picked )

Buyers inquired about other products we are selling and are selling soon, so who knows .

• kydaylilylady
    15 years ago

Folks that have rhubarb down here get between $4-5 a pound. You might want to raise your prices just a little perhaps?

Janet

• innisfail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well after selling to 2 customers, I had NO MORE takers .
    But last Sunday we were hailed out, so for now I do not have anymore (YET)

Hopefully, we will be able to sell some later on, I like this kind of work .

How do you all make it sellable ? I only sell stalks .

• sundacks
    15 years ago

We sell rhubarb for ~$2/lb at our farmers' market - pretty low price, but it's not that unusual around here.

Question: how do other folks keep the stalks from curling out at the ends? I haven't had much luck in keeping it looking pretty.

• bboops
    14 years ago

Hi All

I got a meager spring picking of my Rhubarb, and noticed that it was not doing very well. The next time I went to pick, it was full of holes, and extremely thin.

The gardening show on the CBC mentioned that there is a disease in Ontario Rhubarb this year, but I didn't hear the whole show.

Anyone know?

bboops

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

I have the answer for the curling ends. Do not trim the leaves back completely. Leave a small amount of leaves, 1-2". This allows the rhubarb to keep easier.

I haven't sold it for about 2-3 years, but the last time, I offered it at $3/lb and almost always sold out. Bad for me, I wanted some for myself. I also kept a recipe for pie available.

• scavengingangel
    14 years ago

As a consumer...
    In PA I used to be able to buy pick-your-own rhubarb for $5 for a full paper grocery sack. (Honor system/road side) It was widely available where I lived at the time.
    Since moving south a few years ago, I can't find the stuff for sale and would pay nearly any price at the market if I could find it. Well...nearly any price--my grocery had it in the winter for 12.99/lb and I laughed and walked on by. The one time I have seen it down here since it was $4/lb but slimy looking, I passed that by too, although the price was right. Good luck! :)

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

When I was in FL, I had a hard time finding 'good' rhubarb. I don't think it grows well in the heat. I only wish I could get $12.99/lb. In our area $4/lb is normal this year.

• kato_2009
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, but I do love my rhubarb!

There's not much of a market for rhubarb here, because there are still lots of people with plants in their yards that they don't use, and anyone who wants it can usually get it for free. I make rhubarb jelly out of mine, and it sells really well. It's not something that you can find just anywhere, so it's a novelty. I also started extra plants this year, so next year I'll sell pies too. That's what I do with my crabapples, because so many people can get all of those they want for free too.

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

I sell alot of rhubarb for a few vendor because I can remember my rhubarb pie recipe.

• Amber Johnson
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Rhubarb ... ( This thing will not write worth anything)

This is our 2nd year and thus house. We don't use a lot of rhubarb and I do not know how much to sell it for. I do not have a scale.

How many years does rhubarb grow before needs to be split?

• TOM A Z5a-IL.
    4 years ago

I split mine after about 4-5 years. If it is growing aggressively and has several crowns you can split it sooner. I would charge $3 for the bunch you have on the table.