Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madroneb

Overwintering onions about done

Mark
10 years ago

After 9 months from seeding, my overwintering onions have just started to fall. I spent some time cleaning the paths with the weedeater today in preparation for harvesting and took a few pics for the forum.

Honestly, I'm not really sure if having onions a few months early than the spring planted ones are all that worth it. They certainly don't get the same reception at market as early tomatoes. And even though spring onions with the tops on look and taste great, they don't sell for all that much.

Anyway, they did better this year than ever before with little to no downy mildew, so I shouldn't complain too much. Although, weeding the three 225 ft beds all winter and spring was really not much fun (not to mention the 4+ beds of garlic).

-Mark
{{gwi:362796}}

Comments (6)

• kelise_m
    10 years ago

They look fabulous. I haven't grown any overwintered onions, and I wouldn't mind having a few a those in my kitchen right now. We're using last years shallots still, which feels decadent, but really isn't, and sometimes you just need a good ol' onion! Did you transplant, or direct seed and just did a good job thinning? Would plastic help with the work load? I haven't used plastic on onions but maybe it would be worth it for a crop in the ground that long? On a side note, I had a couple of small totes of shallots left in "storage" (unheated spare bedroom) so I sorted through them and took most of them to market a couple weeks ago. I sold them for $3/lb (maybe too cheap?) and people raved about them and they were gone in two market days. Too late to do anything about it this year, but I was thinking it might be a good crop to plant more of, since I'm getting to market earlier with the new hoophouse and they store so well.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

We had several onion plants that we planted last year. They didn't all get pulled, and this year I'm selling them. I'm thinking about planting some late this year to be able to get a head start for next year.

• Mark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kelise,
    I transplant them just when the fall rains start, seeding in flats in mid august. I would prefer to direct seed but have no irrigation in that field, so I rely on the (not so reliable) rain.

I've contemplated the plastic suggestion and others have suggested the same. I still continue to be a little too stubborn to use plastic for weed control. I use it here and there for small amounts of early hot weather crops, but not for weeds. My thought as of now is that I'm going to try wider row spacing next year so I can bring the BCS down alongside each row. That should just leave in row weeding, which I can manage better.

Nice job on the shallots. I'm always amazed at how well they store, even in less than perfect conditions.

-Mark

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Mark, How cold for how long do you get? We get lots of below freezing and possible below zeros. This last year was the first year that we planted plants, instead of sets. We were pleasantly surprised with the 'volunteer' onions and our customers were also, totally sold out Saturday what we brought.

• Mark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it gets down to about 20F but usually just for a few days now and again. The cloud cover and drizzle in the Pacific NW usually keeps it just above freezing most of the winter.

I'm not sure how much cold onions can take before freezing. I've heard from folks in the NE that they can pull off overwintering onions with floating row cover.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

The ones that kept over this winter were just regular sweet onion plants. Not the winter onions. I guess I can try and if it works, great.