Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustico_2009

Number of Items?

rustico_2009
11 years ago

Did anyone find a sweet spot for the number of items to sell?

Does too many items have a regressive component to sales?

It does seem large piles of each item inspires buyers more than a small jigsaw puzzle of many items, so if there is not room for lots of everything, would fewer items and bigger piles of them be better? Right now I have about 15 different things on average and only a 10 foot front to the stall.

Alternatively, I can make a tight "u" shape three table arrangement in 10'x10" but I am afraid it would not be comfortable or fit enough customers at once. I can stock and arrange from outside that 10'by 10'. With the "U" the standing area for customers would only be about 5' wide by 5' deep even with narrow tables,but the display would be plenty large. Would that be better in anyone's opinion? The other vendors have a 20' stall front , but as I am new and also not yet a big seller, there isn't much I can do about it until vendors fall off at the end of the year...if even then.

Comments (31)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Make that U, and pile the produce high, but not high enough to fall over every time someone looks at it. Always keep it stocked as full as possible. Since you only have the 10', can you make it a long U, with longer sides?

I had 2 spaces both 10', and I used a 4' on each of the front parts of the U, the a 6' on the sides, with 6' at the back with only about 3' walkway in the back to restock items. I only had 4'and 6' tables. I thought about stacking, but never got around to it. I used 25# tomato boxes, which people didn't really appreciate for their looks, that I 'tipped' forward with a 2x4 under the back, so that the produce could be seen easier. I also used a 4' table in the center of the front(when my canopy legs met) for special items of the week, something eye catching. Our biggest sellers were Cockscombs 10"-14" across, deep red. OR mini pumpkin/gourds for Halloween time.

During tomato time, we used the 4' cap/table and an adjoining 6' table for tomatoes, with 1 scale near them. All other produce went on the other tables. When we had both tomatoes and sweet corn, we did the same with both on opposite sides.

If you can only put out a small amount, put signs up stating that you have more. I've seen people get mad at one vendor that would only put out a small amount. they would buy everything, they thought he had, then walk away to find more. When they walked back, they seen he had put more out. They didn't shop him again due to that reason.

Hope this helps you, since it worked for me.

Marla

• andreaz6wv
    11 years ago

Our market is just so different. We don't have anyone who piles it high. Everyone does quart berry baskets.

One guy(not his own stuff, buys it in the south and resells) sells everything in them and they are all priced $4 each.

I only have a small amount of stuff to take, for example friday I had some sugar snap peas that I sold in pint boxes and squash, which I sold in quart baskets. The rest of my table was full of plants, but I do well and most of the time sell almost everything I take.

There is another hobby gardener like myself and they don't bring enough to pile things high. They had lettuce, bok choy and onions one their table friday and sold out about an hour before it was over.

Our market has approx 20 vendors and there are 3-4 of us who sell produce, everyone else is baked goods, tupperware, etc...

Andrea

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Different opinions/perceptions are good :). I think I will try an "L" shape first...but keep the "U" in mind... and maybe a vintage red flyer wagon in an open space with plants or more durable produce in it. I have a ton of space behind the 10x10 canopy so maybe I can put two canopies with the short side up front and make a deeper store? I'll have to check with the manager, on that.

I am thinking about displaying a nice book from a chef I work with a little, and hope to work with more later when the farm is bigger more productive...anyone see pro's or con's to that idea?

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

If you have the space, spread it backwards, maybe just a center table where people can walk on each side.

Believe me, if you have the stuff to display alot do so, you will find your sales go up. I was the first to really pile it on, and one year we had $40,000 in 2003. After awhile, people expected us to have more in our van, if it wasn't on the table. We even had customers offer to help us 'bring out' more produce if we were too busy. We were selling 1,000 lbs of tomatoes each day, plus everything else. It took 3-5 people manning the booth during the peak summer months, and nobody got to sit down for more than 15 minutes or take more than 1 'potty-break' during the 6 hr market.

With plant, of course you can't pile them, but if you put out more than 2 of each variety, you'll see that some people will buy more. Nobody likes to buy that last item, or at least around here they don't.

Cookbooks or recipes are a good thing, but expect to have some for sale. Some people will want to buy.

Marla

• trentkling
    11 years ago

We've switched to the "L" shape here at our main market--tinkered with the "U" shape, but it didn't work out. People try to wedge themselves in, and it becomes somewhat of a tight fit. I'm always worried that something will be knocked over that way.

Our situation may be a little different, because we do offer a lot of value-added goods (jams, jellies, candles, baked goods) in addition to produce but we've found that layering with height has helped draw attention to our booth and spur sales. I built some shelves (more or less) that we can set our candle displays on - usually offset from the front of the table - and it gives me room for other merchandise (produce or whatever else we have a lot of) below. It kind of looks like a three stairs, with open space below each shelf for storage.

I, too, like the book display idea, but agree with Marla that it would be beneficial to have the books (and ingredients for some of the recipes) on hand to sell. During our off-season, I decided to take a different approach (many of our vendors offer recipes and the like). I created a 11-12 minute video presentation (without sound) that includes recipes, fun facts about certain types of produce, information about our business, and historical notes on Kansas agriculture. We play the presentation on a small flat-screen monitor we had laying around. Obviously, it's tough to draw a direct link between the presence of the video and new customers (in part because I get too busy to pay attention) but I do notice several people watching it at each market. I'll change the videos on a 5-6 week basis to reflect what we're pushing or emphasizing at any particular time. It helps that my background is in audio/video production, but it's something that most people can do with Windows Movie Maker and only takes around 3-4 hours per video. I honestly believe that something different like this helps us distinguish ourselves (with our many different items) from the vendors that have piles of a particular type of produce on the table.

Regarding your original question, I think there is a sweet spot for types of produce (at least at our market). Ours is somewhere around 5-7. One of our market's vendors has a vast variety, but has trouble selling out because people don't see the massive piles of just a few different things (IMO). So unless you have one thing to draw people in (whether it's signage, bright colors, whatever) it may be tough to break through that initial barrier of getting people to visit the booth - not sure why, perhaps sensory overload or something.

That said, once you do find a way to draw people in, you become like the "general store" of the farmer's market. Our per-transaction amount has always been high relative to other vendors (beneficial, especially when you are a new vendor - as we are, and as you stated you are) because of this.

Good luck!

-TK

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

If you can keep something "new" at the front of the stand, and change it weekly, that might help.

I wouldn't use the U shape on a 10' wide stand if I had breakables. I try to leave 'purse room' at the front of each table. People will put their bag there adding more as they can.

I didn't think about the extra ingredients, good thought.

I was thinking about a slide show on a photo viewer, but haven't done it.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all are just the best. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I keep all of the suggestions in the play book even when they can't be implemented right away.

I was bummed. I sold greens, root crops and oranges, at this market the week before last. So last week I brought all that plus more (berries and onions and twice the basil). I nearly sold out of the more and not much at all of most of what, I had sold the week before, even though it looked great! So in the end I earned about the same, but had all this produce I had prepped to deal with. I took it to a friends stall the next morning and he sold it for me, but it really seemed like that wouldn't have been necessary.Besides the weaknesses in my stall layout/presentation, My suspicion(hope) is that I am just too new to double sales in one week.
    Several people did stop by to talk to the new guy, but said that they had bought enough for the week and would buy something from me the next week.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

With greens, I've found that if someone buys a bunch, they won't buy again next week. They can only eat SO much.

Yes, a new guy has a hard time, but if you continue, you will win out. Just don't expect it to come easily. Even after years of experience at the same market, you don't double from one week to another. Don't expect double until the month mark.

Marla

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, because my crop planting schedule/success is so erratic still, but improving, I won't have enough to go to far this early part of the summer, even if the customers are willing :). I may even fall back from time to time. Taking lots of notes and getting lots of practice on that too!

Thanks.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

My first year, I can remember so well, I didn't have enough experience to have enough produce to last until our market's celebration in July. Planted determinate tomatoes, no fall or winter items and thought I was doing good. I guess I was, I did $1700 in sales (2000's $$s)in less than 3 months. It was a warm early spring, but I didn't think about later months.

You WILL learn so much each and every year, even after you quit.

I've basically quit so far this year, the sales are not out there for plants for me. I'm sending my plants with my DIL, and she's being able to sell some of them. We've planted some, and I'll preserve some and probably be able to sell some. Good thing is NO super early mornings and the stress is totally different.

Marla

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

It all depends on your market and how you sell. Personally, I give my customers as much choice as possible. I fill all my "bins" (New 1020 web flats) with as much produce as possible. Then I keep restocking as needed. For tomatoes, I have them in plastic tubs, no more than 2 deep. I allow my customers to pick their own and then we weight them up. I use to have 2 10 by 10 tents stacked behind each other and then 3 tables down each side and one at the end to make an "L" shape and backward "L" shape. I would basically end up with 4 rows of customers. At the other end we had a table with cash drawer and scales. They can give us their selections and we can weigh, bag and give change. The extra open space has been very helpful.

I did the long method because I only wanted to pay for one stall. Now the rules were clarified and I can set up side by side. Then I spread out long ways. I usually set up 6, 6 foot tables and 1 or 2, 4 foot tables to check out at. As the market continues and I sell out, I keep pushing things toward the middle and start taking down tables, if I can. It always gives the idea of fullness.

Usually I am a one man selling machine. I care for, restock and talk to the customers all at once. Sometimes I get customer help or family help, but I usually never sit down during the 4 hour market.

Jay

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's about how I am doing and predict myself to do. This is a market where experienced small farm vendors of produce can make $500-$800 a day. There are some who sell much more but they are pooling produce including high end stuff like mushrooms, from larger operations around the state and have employees.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I was told at one market, that my kids are at now, that if I made $100-$200 per market I would have done great. One day I did $800, only because I had peaches at $1 per lb and LOTS of them. I regularly did $200-$400 per market, and this was a rural (everybody has gardens) type of market. I think the kids do that also. People expect high quality, quantity and fair prices from us. We will also look for special items for customers, since we have more contacts than the average customer.

Of course, there are days that don't make $100, but they are a minority of the time.

Marla

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jay, I was just looking at those web flats but didn't consider them for display.

Marla, Produce vendors are allowed to sell items on the list of things planted at our own growing site(s) and those of people who we have cross referenced certificates in officialdom. Maximum of two cooperating growers per year.There are lots of rules that which some people do more with than others. People who wanted to could work the system in several ways. I want to sell what is grown by me on my property and portray that at the market. I tried cross referencing with another grower and it doesn't look like a fit.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Sometimes it fits and sometimes it doesn't. I was selling produce produced by farmers that LOVED to grow, but hated the marketing part. I was better at the marketing part, it worked for me.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

I have 2 6 foot tables I put as far to the sides as possible. Then I use a 4 foot table to make an unconnected U and give me space to go in and out. That gives enough space inside but it does not lure the folks trying not to buy in to look. The straight across tables are best for that. The guy on my left purchases 2 spots and sets up the tables straight across the front and parks his van sideways behind rather than parking a pickup straight in with the booth behind it. I think that is ideal if possible. Another vendor does the U the other way. I tried that and didn't like it.
    As for piling high- sure that helps per all the marketing manuals ever but if you have a slow market it doesn't matter. The 2 guys next to me at market go to one every day and pile rather medium and refill several times. Then what doesn't sell goes to market the next day. Therefore those farmers' stuff is not as fresh as mine picked for the market that day only and most displayed.
    Number of items? Well I wish I could specialize in a few things because I think that is great. I have a major problem getting everything loaded in my Ranger and then set up on my tables! I like it to look cute and boy I bring way too much! I refill broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes during market due to lack of space.
    With my U shape I try to put something interesting or colorful on the end of one table and then something really popular or smelly or a sample on the farthest in point to get people into the booth. I had lilies of the valley and herbs last week along with granola samples. Sometimes I brush my basil often through market to lure people over. It actually works since they mention the scent all the time.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

At the peak of my larger market, I had a full-sized extended van, 18' long. I would park it across the 2 spaces (total 20'), then used the U shape with 2 canopies side to side. It worked really well when I had lots of stuff. If not so much stuff, I just lined the tables up across. I loaded my van so that I could pull more stuff out as needed. I really couldn't use the back doors without infringing on the neighbor's space.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The wider ,two stall "U" sounds good. I tried the 10' "L" yesterday, with me working mostly from the long side which faces the shoppers... and liked it. I piled white and red onions with the tops still on on the most protruding part. I think that helped make people notice the stand. Basically, I think whether you pile high or use small quantities in baskets and what not, the key is that people need to easily separate different items visually.

I tried selling extra tomato plants in 18 ounce red solo cups, as Marla had mentioned seeing someone do. I think that has potential as 9 of 11 sold. Home gardeners usually buy tomato plants in March and April where this market is located, though any time through June is still great for planting them.

So thanks for the help. I managed to sell more overall...for a few different reasons probably, but with your help I felt "clued in" a bit more.

With more business at times, making change was very awkward. Not sure what I want to do, but it was embarrassing at times, the way I was fumbling around. Money was at risk of blowing away if I kept it handy. Staples(office supply) has a really nice money drawer that would fit under the scale, but it's pricey at almost $200. could be a good value over time. Maybe an apron would work? I don't really want to wear an apron! Today I saw a guy using a plastic box big enough to more or less separate denomination of $. That looks good and stops money from blowing away. I could stuff $20's and too many $5's and $10's away as the day goes on. Any other ideas? They only coins I use are quarters which are pretty easy to keep handy.

• magz88
    11 years ago

You can get nice looking aprons like the servers use at bars or outdoor functions.

Plus, you will most likely get more adept at the money handling as you get used to the pace.

We have $1 and $2 coins here so fly way money isn't usually an issue since the most they would get back from a $20 would be 3 $5 bills.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

just wondering - how much did you get for the plants in cups?

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Thanks - I was thinking about $2.50 for cherries (OP and hybrid) in 3.5" squares since jay asks $2 for 2401s, and then $3 for Bloody Butcher, $4 for heirlooms but I don't know if the market will bear that when bigbox and grocery stores are selling 12" or taller plants for $2.50 (and 1 grocery I saw on Fri was selling what looked like 2401s but about 9" plants for $1).

Maybe I should just price everything at $3, 4 for $10? They're in 3.5" - 4.5" pots.

I think the SB Anthony dollar went out of favor here b/c people got it confused with quarter. Now if you can get the gold-colored $1 Sacagewea (sp?) coin that might work better, banks might have rolls but I have very rarely come across one in circulation.

I use a fanny pack with a ziploc bag, start with $30 in singles and coins, as I get $ I stick it in a separate compartment of the pack so I never mix the large bills in. Gets hard to keep up with sometimes, and I have to hunt in the bag for the correct change. An apron with separate pockets for each denomination would be best, though I'm thinking of a box I'm afraid I'll end up stepping away from it. Might work if you just keep change in there and put the larger bills (and at the end of the day also all income) in your pockets, so not a lot of $ if someone does walk away with it.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

I use the cash drawer from an old cash register. It has a removable cash drawer inside. It has space for all the bills and coins. I only use quarters though. I can set my scales on top of it. I got it for free, but another vendor contacted a local business supply shop and they sold him one for $20. It was sitting in their basement storeroom.

You can just see the edge of the set up in this picture.

Jay

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Only one lady griped about the $2 and she was probably an outlier in many ways.

The big box stores here really started charging a lot for starter plants a couple of years ago. Not much intrigue in their selection compared to what we can do. Costco had big plants in trade gallon pots for under $2.50, still all the basic types but that was probably a on time loss leader deal for them.

Basil would be a good plant to sell too, though some people buy them in their permanent pot at stores. I am selling basil now and several people have asked me for plants even before I ever brought a plant to market.

I have wondered about theft too, even armed robbery. Some of those vendors are carrying a lot of cash. The holdup would be a pretty brazen affair but it's possible...probably has happened.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Jay, That's what the cash drawer at Staples looks like but I think I'll hunt around for a deal like you got. Thanks?
    That really is my preferred way to go.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Question mark on "Thanks" not intended...Thanks!

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I've used several types of cash boxes. The one that I've bought the most was from WM and it costs about $10. It has a drawer for bills and coins. Bad thing was the bills could (and have) blown away when opened. I found a piece of tile to hold the bills down.

I've also used one that holds the bills downs with a spring activated holder, but the springs break easily. Plus it really needs a clasp on it. Only way that it will hold together is if it get locked. Kinda a pain to unlock everytime you need to get into it.

I've inherited a couple of cash drawers without the outside cases. Just need to build a box or something. Might try the shoe shelf (got from MIL) over it for the scale.

I can't see spending $200 for one.

Marla

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, it's too much. I think I can find one similar to what Jay has....off to get a rototiller. Have a good day everyone.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well....I got a good tiller a used BCS 700 series, but after a few hours bouncing around on the thing, I think I am not crazy about tillers . Time will tell.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

No tiller that I've found is easy on the body, unless you count the behind a tractor type. Rustico, at least you got a good one. You will need to build up to hours, instead of trying to till for hours the first time. Make sure the handles are set to the right height for you, that might help.

• rustico_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did change the handles and start to use the throttle properly towards the end. It cut much better. The soil is hard and dry, so it is getting a good soaking now. No hurry really, as I have empty beds anyway, just trying it out.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio