Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Question about Tposts, etc. in HT

2ajsmama
9 years ago

DH and I laid out the HT yesterday just to get idea of width. What I thought were 13.5ft hoops are 15ft so only 1 tunnel (all we have time for anyway) for now, after we move (use) the manure pile can bring in some fill and make the pad wider, level for another tunnel next to (running N-S long direction).

So for 64.5ft long tunnel, wondering how far in from end walls to put vertical supports, T posts for indet. tomatoes? I probably want a gap in the middle to walk through too, I've got some 100ft long beds in fenced area and have to walk to 1 end all the time to cross to next aisle. But no end walls.

I don't know if we'll get cemented-in supports right now, rushing to get (aged) manure in the middle before we put hoops up and pin the timbers to the ground, plastic will not be going up until later in the season. What I can do is buy 8ft Tposts instead of usual 6.5 -7ft and tie a few of them into the center purlin. Sound enough to support hoops if plastic just going to be on a couple of months? Chain link fence pipe hammered into ground every 3ft (if we can sink it every place) with hoops set inside and clamped to outside of 4x4s that I also want to drive rebar through in a few places to pin down.

Comments (5)

• myfamilysfarm
    9 years ago

I had a friend that decided to tie her tomatoes to the purlins, ended up bending the purlins. The Amish around here, don't tie the T-posts to anything.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't think I should string up the tomatoes along the purlins, was just wondering

1. how far in from ends of tunnel to start the center row(s) to be able to walk around? Will do some break in the middle too - learned my lesson with 100ft long beds in the fenced area ;-)

2. using T posts to support the tunnel rather than 4x4 posts cemented in? How many, how far apart? Of course if more than just the ends and maybe 1 in the middle of 65ft I would want to use those posts as part of the FL weave.

DH told me today that they only had center ridgepole, no side purlins on this when it was set up as 150ft tunnel. So I don't have enough pipe to run 3 as planned. I could buy 20ft I guess if I can find the same stuff and connectors to join ends. May be just 1" EMT that's not shiny anymore, not sure what it is, aluminum or galvanized steel like the hoops. I'm thinking Al since it seems lighter but it's also lighter gauge (thinner walls though close to same OD) than the hoops.

• randy41_1
    9 years ago

the purlins in my tunnels have no problem holding up tomato plants.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking FL weave (and if that doesn't work this year, next year I'll run a panel of CRW down the middle). Peppers (I use those 3-ring "tomato" cages for them in field, next year once plastic is on may even skip those in HT) and determinate tomatoes along the sides. Sure, I could string up the tomatoes, but you cut production by pruning determinates, and unless I buy more pipe I'm not going to have purlins (just center ridgepole) anyway.

I also remember Jay commenting that he doesn't string his tomatoes up b/c if the wind takes the structure, he'd rather it didn't take all his crop with it.

But anybody have any advice about T posts for support of the structure? And/or how close to ends to run that center bed (double row) of tomatoes?

Got the cypress in place to start building first side bed, it wasn't 16ft long but more like 14 so I'm 4-5ft shy of going the whole length of the tunnel, unless DH cuts some more (he did cut 8 2-ft lengths for front-back spacers to keep it from bowing). Going to start putting those together tomorrow, filling them with compost.

Today won't do much but plant beans and such, DS has Scout thing in afternoon (if it's still on with possible T-storms) and I really have to do something fun with DD b/c she's sulking that she has a 4-day w/e and hasn't done anything fun (going fishing, catching tadpoles, going out for ice cream Sunday, watching parade, making cupcakes, and having Papa over for dinner last night doesn't count).

• kelise_m
    9 years ago

I weave my tomatoes and the end of the row is very close to the end walls, maybe two feet. But I don't have any employees so nobody works in there but me, so I only need to sacrifice enough space for me and a picking bucket/tote. I also don't have a gap in the middle of the row and my HH is 96 ft long, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I don't feel qualified to advise you on the structure support, except it occurs to me that t posts are cheap (ish) and have a million other uses so it wouldn't hurt to just put a bunch in until that tunnel isn't going anywhere!

Sponsored