Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fieldsfunnyfarm

my first market ever..help

fieldsfunnyfarm
13 years ago

This is my first Market ever and the closer we get the less sure I get.(Saturday)What do I bag my mixed lettuce in? What about the customers that don't want plastic?How much do I sell Romaine lettuce for?Do I sell it whole or loose leaf.

I so appreciate any help with these questions and any hints you can give me to make my first market a success.I have always wanted to do this and I can't believe it's finally happening!

Comments (6)

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

Bag your mixed lettuce in gallon zip lock bags until you can source produce bags (a lot cheaper at $50 for several thousand bags (and if you stay in this line of work you will use them all).

I sell heads of lettuce for $6 a pound in 1/2 pound bags. I sell baby lettuce for the same price. Spring mix is $3 for 6 ounces.

I bag all my greens because they last a lot longer in sun and windy conditions than greens with no protection (which will last about 15 to 25 minutes out of plastic before wilting horribly)

I put out no more than a few bags of each kind of green I am selling and keep everything else in coolers with ice packs (keep towels between the ice pack and the produce of the produce will get freezer burns)

You will not be able to please everyone and simply tell the people who do not want plastic you will take the packaging back (but be clear you do not want all of their trash for recycling or you will get large amounts from some people)

It is also important to get the greens cooled and kept that way until time of sale. if you don't have a fridge to store it all in, than cool down coolers with ice packs for an hour or so before loading hydro cooled produce into them. Hydro cooling is simply dumping the greens into cold water for a few minutes to remove the field heat from the leaves than spinning dry (an cheap and EZ dryer is a mesh laundry bag filled with wet greens and spun over your head.)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

Look for gallon sized non zip top bags. I have found them at Target, Wal-mart, Kroger, Dillons and other stores. I prefer to use them. They are cheap.

Jay

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

I use the 5-a-day bags you see at the produce section of all groceries-they are a lot cheaper than zip locks, which if bough by the 200 ct box are never cheaper than 2¢ to 3¢ a bag and usually they are more like 7¢ a bag. The 5-a-day bags are under a penny apiece. I go through many thousands of bags a year so this cost builds up pretty quickly

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I used the T-shirt bags. Same size as the ones in the grocery stores. They are the only bags I use for any of my produce. I buy them at Sam's, now up to less than $13 plus taxes.

• fieldsfunnyfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help!We sold out at our first market and I thought I had taken way to much stuff. Your answers really helped us.Since that market I have become unemployed so am going to depend on the markets a lot more than we had planned.I am sure glad I found you all.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

congrats about selling out, sorry about your unemployment. Keep in mind that you will have good days and some not so good days, tho.

Sponsored