Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener1908

displaying lettuces

gardener1908
14 years ago

In about a week to 10 days I will be setting up my roadside stand. I was wondering how some of you display your lettuces. I will have about 15 different varities, heads, loose, and mesclun mixes etc. I thought about putting the mixes in a shallow plastic crate and selling loose. As for the heads I was going to leave the roots on and put them in a shallow trough with cold water to help keep them fresh , then cut the roots at time of sale. Any imput helpful. Thanks

Comments (4)

• boulderbelt
    14 years ago

i would put the heads in plastic bags, only have 1 of each kind of lettuce on display and keep the rest in a cooler that has blue ice packs and towels between the ice and the lettuce. this is what I do at the farmers market.

If the heads are exposed to wind and sunlight for more than 15 minutes they are unsellable and unless you know for sure that you will be getting a lot of lettuce buying customers at your stand you need to keep most of the produce fresh.

The lettuce guy at the farmers market does not pack his heads in plastic, instead he fills coolers about 20% with ice and water and puts his lettuce in the coolers with the lid open. The heads look good displayed this way for about 3 hours, after that they are beat up and mangy looking but he is generally sold out in 3 hours. I do find that his lettuce does not last as long as mine in the fridge but I think that is more due to the fact he does not hydrocool or refrigerate his lettuce before selling it rather than the lettuce is exposed to heat and drying winds.

At my farm stand (store actually) I have a glass front reach in fridge that keeps the lettuce top notch for 7 to 10 days.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am still trying to figure out what I can and can not do as far as health dept. goes. I do have a fridge in the garage that is only a few years old that we use for extra room that I could use to keep extras in til needed. Would it need to be "inspected"? I would think that if I follow the same rules that apply to farmers markets that I should be fine with my roadside stand. I was told that I could not wash the produce as this was processing it and I would need a permit. What about water for cooler or ice? Probaly need to talk to health dept. again. Thanks for your help.

• boulderbelt
    14 years ago

I would not talk to the dept of health, they do not have anything to do with your farm stand unless you are re-selling meat and eggs (or other perishable items). County helath does not have much, if any jurisdiction over produce farm stands, farmers markets, etc.. they do have jurisdiction over non farm food products.

it is you state dept of agriculture that has jurisdiction over what you are doing but county health will not tell you that and will make you jump through a lot of hoops you do not need to jump through.

I am positive if you ask your county health dept they will say no to the ice and no to the fridge unless it is a commercial fridge (which only cost about $1500 for a used one door reach-in, $4500 for new).

I have been making my living growing what I sell and I do know in Ohio we can sell just about anything we grow or process on the farm with no regulation. When we go to farmers markets there is a bit more regulation and if I were to start reselling others' produce, meat and eggs than I would have to go to the county health dept and get a retail food establishment license. In all this time I have yet to get an inspection from county health even though my farm is on the major road into the county seat (the courthouse is only 2 miles away) so I know they know about this place.

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What your telling me is kinda what I've been thinking. I would think that if you practiced good hygiene you should be fine. I would think they have bigger things to do than mess with me. Could be much ado about nothing. Thanks again.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting