Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellowing tomato plants

Posted by pitterpat_2009 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 8:52

My tomato plants are turing a light green almost yellowing what
are you all watering your starts with after 5 to 6 weeks
in the small pots I think they are needing a boost to get thru a couple more weeks. Jay your plants look wonderful
from your market garden posted pictures,
Any suggestions appreciated...Thanks Pit Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellowing tomato plants

i think they need a nutrient boost. are they planted in potting soil?

o

I haven't had that problem. I transplant mine into 4" and larger pots and start watering with fertilizer water. All of my fertilizer water is 1/2 strength or weaker. I water them whenever they look wilty. I would rather water more often with weaker fertilizer than to fertilize 1x-2x per season. Mine keep very dark green leaves.

o

Yes a mix of 3 parts compost 3part peat 1 part vermiculite
half cup lime to mellow the peat and 2 cups base mix of
blood meal, bonemeal, greensand.
I think they have exhausted the nutrients as it has been
so windy I have had to water much more then normal and have
depleted the mix. I will try a foilar feed of liquid fish and kelp to see if this helps.
Thanks, PP

o

Foliar feed helps a bit, but not much in my opinion. I would use a higher concentration of fish/kelp and water the plants well with it. Do it once a week until you get them in the ground. Don't worry about over-feeding, they are tomatoes!
Also, make sure you're not watering bone dry soil or you'll lose all the liquid to the floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here