Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fresh figs

Posted by lemon306 Z8B La. (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 04 at 8:53

Anyone market fresh figs at their farmer's market? Can I just keep them in an ice chest with ice packs? I've seen them in zip lock bags that appear to be frozen. Anyone freeze them fresh off the tree? Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fresh figs

Last year I sold fresh figs at our farmer's market but only the ones I picked one or two days prior to the market. Or else they start to mold. I put mine in flat tupperware boxes-no more than two layers deep-and kept them in a cooler with ice. I would fill a small bowl on the table to show them (a fly net umbrella would be a good idea) and then bag them as I sold them.

Are there other markets and stands selling fresh figs in your area. I found that only one other market was carrying them and charging 50 cent each. My figs were smaller, brown turkeys, so I sold them out at 3 for a dollar.

deb

o

Can anyone tell me when to pick my figs? I don't want to pick them when they are not ripe enough, but if I wait too long, they are too soft and crack open? What stage do I pick them at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I personally don't like figs so don't actually taste them to see if they are ripe, but I have a huge tree with 100s of figs on, that I might as well sell.
Maplea

o

I think the prevailing wisdom is that a fig is ripe when it droops on its stem. I actually like to pick a little earlier than that. I "feel" the fig and if I feel a little softness I will pick it even though it might not be drooping yet. This is especially true now when we are having so much rain that may cause the fig to "open" and sour quickly when truly ripe.

o

thanks lemon
I'll have to check those figs. Just to confirm, they should be a little soft, like when an avocado is ready to eat? and do they come off the stem easily when they are ripe, like apples? thanks lemon

Maplea

o

Hi maplea---Yes they should be a little soft and if really ripe they come off quite easily. When I pick it usually takes a slight tug as I pick before they droop on the stem. I've picked 30 gallons so far this season and the birds have probably enjoyed as many! I'll have to make new friends just to be able to give some away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here