Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of tape can you use to make seams on greenhouse film?

Posted by ajsmama 5b (NW CT) (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 9:20

or is it not a good idea at all? I thought if I bought a 42' or 48' wide remnant from Farmtek that I might be able to cut it in half along the length (can't find any long enough to just use that the width of my hoophouse - need more than 22ft) and then seam it, so say a 10ft length could be cut in half to give me two 21-24ft x 10ft pieces that I could then use to cover 20ft long hoophouse, not including end walls. A couple of such remnants could cover the 35-40ft or so I'd like to get up this year, but would result in 3 seams running over the arch.

Or am I better off saving my $ to buy a longer length when I get the house(s) built, even if the remnant is 50% off the per-ft price?

I think eventually I'd want 60-75ft, since I have hoops from 135ft tunnel that were placed 3ft apart, haven't quite figured location yet, so might have 2 tunnels side by side or even 2 tunnels in 1 location and another smaller one somewhere else (like near my house), even though I know that will cost more for lumber. I just don't have a level spot 135 long (except in my backyard and I don't think DH will let me put a long HT there, I might get away with a 14x20 greenhouse though).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of tape can you use to make seams on greenhouse fil

I wouldn't do it. You can by greenhouse patching tape, they sell it through Farmtek and most other greenhouse suppliers. If this was an endwall, or a portion of the endwall, maybe. But I wouldn't want to trust my whole growing structure to tape. The tape works well for holes and rips, but probably not for a whole building.

Just my opinion based from my 7 years of experience with greenhouse plastic and high tunnels.

Jay

o

I agree with Jay, get the complete piece versus pieces.

Yes, you can use packing tape (wide) for temporary repairs, but they will be temporary. Try to tape both sides and make sure that the tape is completely pressed on. I've used the packing tape for repairs, but noticed that they will not hold up to the humidity within the greenhouse. I need to buy some actual greenhouse repair tape, but haven't got around to it. It's not too expensive and any tape will help prevent a small tear becoming a major tear.

Marla

o

Tape won't work by itself , but you can overlap the plastic a little and attach each piece with wiggle wire or those clamps that snap over pipe. Then you could tape down the excess to try to get rain water to run off. The tape will stay, but it won't hold under stress, which is why you need additional clamps or wiggle wire.

o

Tape is ONLY for repairs, don't try to use it to attach 2 pieces.

We have different pieces, but are attached together by attaching to boards, but they aren't where ANY wind can get to the joint.

o

the best way to save money on greenhouse film is to find a local source and avoid the shipping cost.

o

Thanks all - still looking at the game bird netting, thought I could get some film at the same time but looks like I should just wait until I figure out how long the house is going to be.

I know a couple of nursery owners, I'll ask them where they buy their film.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here