Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ordairygirl

Adding a market

ordairygirl
11 years ago

This is my first year selling at a farmer's market. I've done the local farmers market 3 times now, barely making the market fee each time. Small town, less than 50 customers and bad weather has made for a very slow start. I am selling plants and am starting to bring produce as it is ready. Have had very good reception of my offerings...just not enough people to purchase. I was planning on holding off going to the large markets until next year, but now financially think I may need to take the leap now. Any danger of going to a big market too soon? Funny thing is the market fee is less at the big market, but its a 45 minute drive. How did you start off? Is May always slow and will June be much better? How many markets do you attend each week? Just looking for advice and stories to help make an informed decision.

Comments (11)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

May, for me, is always slow. It's not surprising that the larger market's fees are lower. With more vendors, the market can have a smaller fee to cover their costs.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

First year at market, 45 minute drive to second market, I think I'd hold off a year, see how the local market goes. Do you have enough produce and time to support a second market?

You might want to try the larger market next year (if you can do it, 45 min 1-way would kill me!) to see if sales are better, and then ask about joining the local (to you) market on a week-by-week basis during your high season if you have enough produce to support it. What days are the 2 markets on?

• ordairygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live on the border of Idaho and Oregon...sometimes the closest town is 45 min. away =) I travel 25 minutes just to go get groceries. My small market is on Thursday evenings and as I said a total of about 50 people came to walk through the market over 4 hours. The large market is on Saturday mornings. They estimate 16,000 people on an average day. I'm not sure if I have enough to keep in supply at the large market but have way to much at the smaller one at this point. I'm planning to go tomorrow to scope out the larger markets in my area. Just to see the competition, pricing and availability of spots. I've been short on time this Spring (I'm an online teacher) but have more time available this summer. Thank you for your replies so far, great questions to think about and advice.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Maybe if you know what weeks you'll have extra, you can pay by the day/week at the larger market *this* year. Lots of markets have a weekly fee or break the season into smaller chunks - may work if their schedule fits with your harvest.

I'm in a small state (and used to live in the smallest!) so 45 min drive is almost halfway across CT (and would have been all the way across RI) for me. I think it's bad that I have to drive 10 miles 1-way to buy a gallon of milk - or 17-20 to buy groceries or gas! Of course, I don't know how many miles 25 minutes is for you - for me it's 10-20 miles depending on whether I can get on a state highway or it's back roads/residential areas (like to school - DD missed the bus this AM).

• ordairygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The good thing about our 45 minutes is that you are going 50 miles without stopping =) The larger markets are in the capital city, but the interstate drops you right into downtown with no stop lights till you are a few blocks away. Good point about asking about the ability to pay week by week. If it wasn't my first year it would be a lot easier to predict schedules and volumes. Guess it will be a learning experience!

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Keep in mind, some of the larger markets are sold out already for this year and some even for future years. We have several around here that way. If it's a really good market, chances are you won't be able to get in.

I'm 15 miles away from nearest town, either very small or mid-sized city. 45 miles would tell me that you would need to make a minimum of $45 plus market fee, before you made any money for seeds and such.

At this time, we were attending 2 markets, one 30 miles and the other 32.5, both one-way. We have decided that with what we have to offer, and the sales so far this year, it is not worth driving to either of these markets. Perhaps when produce starts coming in, but not just with plants.

When we were at the larger market, we made easily $100-200 per day, and only 15 miles one-way. Now they charge $30 per day, since we didn't get in as a seasonal vendor. Plus they require insurance and other regulations. Not sure, if they are worth the hassle either.

Maybe it's time for me to take some time off. Shame I didn't realize this before I planted all the plants earlier in the season.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

How much are you going to be spending on gas to go back and forth to that larger market?

The market I sold at last year (and this year) is only 7 miles away. There was a new one started last year, seems to have done well (too well - they raised their fee from $150 to $200!) but it's twice as far and not only did they raise their fee this year but the season is shorter than the market I was already in. So I decided to stay in the one that was only $125 for 4 months (with 2 days/week in July).

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

The larger market that I was talking about, the seasonal fee is $300 for 2 days per week for almost 6 months.

• Slimy_Okra
    11 years ago

We have a vendor who comes to the market TWICE a week from 3 hours away (one way)! That should make you feel better about the 45 minute drive. I would say go for it, because there is nothing more frustrating that growing all this good stuff and not having people buy it. I have a different but related problem, in that I haven't been approved for the weekend market. I can only go on a weekday, and I get 10% of the customers I would get on weekends. Worse, the customers I get on a weekday are usually conservative and not very well-off, so they are unwilling to try exotic veggies or things like that. But I persevere...

• ordairygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thought I would share my "research" into the larger markets in my area. The large one in the capital city had over 100 vendors and the crowd was packed. Couldn't walk side by side with my kids there were so many people. People appeared to be purchasing or at least talking with vendors because the front of most booths were full. There are openings, but not many. Good news is that it requires 75% agriculture and only 25% prepared food and crafts vendors. Stiff competition in general produce and plants but appears to be missing cut flower merchants, which is the direction I was leaning towards. So...I'm going to apply.
    The other established larger market had a great mix of vendors but on this beautiful sunny day seemed to be lacking customers. Talked with two vendors that go to my current small market (there is only 10 vendors at my current market so we got to know each other quickly) and they would go to the larger one if they could get in, but both are craft vendors.
    I thought driving 45 minutes was a bit far but there are booths from several businesses from towns over 2 hours (100 miles) away. I'll keep the forum updated on how it goes.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

If you can get in, go for it. Just take alot of things and price with the other vendors.

I tried the big market a few years after starting. I found that I could charge 4x as much for things, plus I was sold out in less than 1 hr, but couldn't leave.

Keep good records of your mileage to take off of taxes. Also be sure you have all the certifications that you need before you get there, especially since you'll be at the state capital. Permits, certified scale and such.

Marla

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?