Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennial onions

Posted by sundacks 4a (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 11:10

After my cat knocked off two flats of onion seedlings, and others died from overwatering, I wasn't sure if I'd be selling onions this year. But my perennial onions have sprouted vigorously.

So, I'm wondering whether anyone grows perennial onions for the farmers' markets. If so, when do you harvest, and what parts do you sell? Is it just a waste of space to increase my perennial onion beds - are the annual types that much more efficient use of space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennial onions

I don't know about selling perennial onions, but I do know that wild onions don't sell.

Marla

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:44

o
RE: perennial onions

If I remember my grandmother's perennial onions right they had o different taste then annual onions had. I can not remember if she used them in her cooking or not, but if you are going to sell them you would need to mark them as perennial onions and tell how to use them. I do know they never got large bulbs because they bloomed early and their green stems were harder then green onions in the garden.
James

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here