Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoneunhenged

Preparing lettuce for restaurants

stoneunhenged
16 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with a small-scale commercial operation for preparing organic heirloom lettuce for use in restaurants?

How do you wash the lettuce? Do you chop the leaves? How to do you store it for delivery to restaurants?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• spogarden
    15 years ago

I agree with the above statement and I would definatly not chop any lettuce, ever. It tends to spoil much faster. Even if you are just making a salad for home use, it lasts much longer if you tear the leaves and don't chop them.
    If you soak the lettuce in salt water it helps to get the bugs out of the leaves.

• river22
    15 years ago

I've found an easy way to spin dry lettuce or other greens in large amounts is to put them in a pillow case, tie the top, and put them in the washer on spin for about 30 seconds. It's amazing how fast it goes.

• Miss_Mudcat
    15 years ago

I do not have any experience selling bulk lettuce to restaurants, but I would agree that you should ask the restaurant what they expect. I sell triple-washed, dried and packaged 8 ounce containers of cutting lettuces. I cut them, wash them in 3 changes of water and spin them in a 5-gallon salad spinner. (And, by the way, I have never had trouble with spoilage because of cutting. My salad lasts for 10 - 14 days in the fridge. I think the key to that is getting the lettuce in cold water, just as Lucy said, ASAP!)

Good luck to ya!

• stoneunhenged
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for this good advice. Any more would also be appreciated.

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

I don't know the long term effect, but for immediate use I put a couple shakes of salt in the cold water for the first rinse from the garden. It stuns the bugs, slugs, and whatevers - they'll fall off and so will the dirt. Then do a quick rinse with cold water before using the salad spinner. I never have to search for detritus before eating.

Nancy the nancedar

• boulderbelt
    15 years ago

I should add that I put salt and vinegar in my wash water. The salt knocks off the slugs and keeps the greens hydrated and the vinegar softens the water so the dirt falls off much better and is a disinfectant

• SueMarloy
    10 years ago

How do I get my pre-washed lettuce SUPER dry. Like the packages sold at the supermarket. I am specifically talking about the "Organic Girl" triple washed salad packs. What salad spinner do you guys use?
    Thanks

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

I have the big orange industrial salad spinner and it is not super dry. There is a difference in weight after washing and spinning vs. not washing. But the lettuce at the store is in airtight packages and I think it is best to be in bags with some holes. That will keep fresh for a long time.

• boulderbelt
    10 years ago

I find washing in vinegar water is what keeps salad fresh for e as i have always sealed my greens in air tight bags and the greens keep fine for 3 to 4 weeks (but should be used up well before than)

• bernadette11
    6 years ago

Hello, could you please explain how much vinegar/water

Sponsored